Quadrafire 1000 fire pot conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmeagig

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2010
Northern Idaho
Hi,
I could use some help with my Quadrafire 1000.
I'm in the process of replacing the original ceramic fire pot with the cast iron one. I got it all apart but then I hit a couple of snags. There was not enough room to fit my power drill into the burn chamber to drill the holes to hold the fire pot.
So I removed the big plate above the fire pot that has all the heat transfer fins on it to give me a little more clearance.Now I am able to drill the holes but the new problem is that there is some type of a gasket material behind the metal plate that I removed. It all fell apart and I can't reuse it.
What is this plate called and what could I use as a gasket material that might be readily available in the hardware store? Is there some kind of goop I squeeze out of a tube? The original material was some type of fiber band, about 2" wide and 1/4" thick maybe.Should I get the actual part from the manufacturer. If so, what is the part called and what is the best source?
Thanks

OK, I did it. There's a place in Spokane WA that carries sheetstock of the ceramic fiber material that's needed for the Heat exchanger gasket.The sheets come 12X13" and that is the perfect size to make a gasket.
Another issue came up though.
The cast iron pot is held in place with two pretty good size bolts and now the dust bins are not sitting flat in the bottom of the burn chamber. They kind of rock on the bolts. Everything works fine but I hear a slight rattling coming from the dustpans. I'm not sure if there is a fix for that.I was thinking about using some of that gasket material that I have left to stick under the pans, but I'm not sure if it would hold up.I could use countersunk bolts instead of the ones that were supplied with the burnpot. Bust the trays would still not sit flat on the bottom because the lip that the bolts fit through would still be in the way.
Does anyone have any ideas?

I busted my ignitor when cleaning the stove this weekend. The ceramic pot is getting pretty iffy. How do you like the new firepot? Was it worth the $$ or should I just replace the entire heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.