Quadrafire 1200i Clicking Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xSpecBx

Sep 17, 2014
Ledyard, CT
I'm getting a clicking noise from the stove during start-up which I have been unable to pinpoint. It happens from the moment the fire starts burning and continues for about 20 minutes and is completely random. Eventually the noise becomes less common until it goes away entirely.

I know it has nothing to do with the convection blower as it happens before the blower kicks on and continues for a few minutes while the blower is running.

I do not believe it is related to the combustion fan as I would expect that the noise would be more consistent, but instead the noise is completely random.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the thermal expansion going on, but not sure if there is maybe a snap disc that could be making the noise. Any thoughts? Anything I can check?

I'm pretty sure is the metal expanding and contracting. I had/have this happen on both of my inserts, new and old. It usually happens when the flame gets much bigger from it's steady state point. It clicks for a few seconds then stops. My new insert does this a lot less since it keeps the flame much more constant. It is really no different then electric baseboard heaters. They ping as they get hot(though now they make them where the pinging is much less). I have heard this on other peoples stoves as well.

Reactions: mralias
Check whether there is a loose connection between the feed motor (auger motor) and the auger shaft. My CB1200i showed a very similar symptom initially then getting worse later. After tightly fastening the connection with a hexa driver, the noise disappear.

You could try jumping vac swith wires together(making sure they can't short out on anything), to see if there is an issue with it. And also the snap discs can be jumped to see if they are trying to act up. Check wire connections on things. And as stated, could be just he stove warming up. Mine will make noises too. kap

If youre looking at the stove the sound appears to be coming from the left side. which side is the vac switch on? I dont think its the motor but worth looking at.

Like i said earlier, once the stove is running for a bit it goes away.

I was able to narrow the noise down to the ash pan area so it appears to just be metal expansion. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Glad it was nothing. Stay warm. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.