QUADRAFIRE 7100 FP IN LOG HOME NOT KEEPING UP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can relate to this problem. Years ago I lived in a small house 24 x 24 with the living room ceiling open, about 16 - 18 ft high with a loft bedroom. I used my large allison wood stove for heat and the lower area was not that warm but when you went upstairs you could not stand it cause it was so hot. I used a box fan upstairs to blow down into the living room which helped a little but not much.

Hi Stoveguy,

Unit sits in the center of the house, inside.

Thanks,

Hey Redneck,

appreciate your feedback. I think its the cathedral space also.

Thanks for all replies.

SG

My log cabin has a bigger footprint (barely...28x40) and I have 26' cathedral ceilings in the great room, which is the entire front 3/5 of the house...so we're talking about what is probably a very similar building, but being in western MA, my wintertime temps tend to go UP to 30 degrees, not down. My Morso 3610 is also a bit smaller than the Q7100 (BTU output is rated about the same or 2/3 that of the 7100, depends on which Morso brochure you look at) and I have no trouble keeping the floor level temperatures in the great room hovering close to 80F when outside temps are around 10F. I have a pair of ceiling fans in teh gt room, the one nearest the stove blows down, the front one pulls up so I create a whole room air current that seems to be reasonably effective. The heat in that zone has not kicked on once this entire heating season, I figure its saved me at a minimum 500 gallons of fuel oil this year.

There is something wrong with the setup he's using, others here have put up good suggestions and know alot more than I do about the product, but I wanted to tell you that comparing my personal home with his and my stove's spec sheet with his 7100, there is no reason why it shouldn't be melting chocolates on the kitchen countertop.

It’s the log home…

...they are the black hole of heating/cooling energy. I knew 2 couples that had those beautiful homes but on a cold day the outside walls would be cold to the touch ...they’re conductors of the cold. They look good but imo they’re white elephants. If you’re young and thinking about getting one...think again.

Completely disagree. They style of my home may not be the most energy efficient (see avatar, those big windows and high ceilings definitely cost me alot of energy), but the actual logs themselves seem to be excellent insulators...even when its 10 below outside my inside walls are "room temperature", with only 7" of pine between me and the outdoors. There are a million different ways that a log home is built though and long term maintenance certainly comes into play, my logs are put togehter with huge screws that drill down through 3 courses of logs and are triple groove interlocking on teh vertical...all interlocks have an adhesive foam gasket as well. On paper I know that a hunk of pine should not be a better insualtor than a 2x6 constructed wall with fiberglass insulation in there, but my personal expreience tells me the opposite. Maybe a placebo effect?

woodconvert & mayhem I’m happy that your happy with your log homes …the one’s I was referring to were built in the mid 80’s. The owners were not pleased at all.

My apologies for condemning all log homes…as thick as those logs are, yes, I agree they should be excellent insulators…and I have to say they are beautiful to look at. I guess hearing the same story about the two homes just prejudiced me.

Status
Not open for further replies.