Quadrafire castile auger issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twill

Nov 7, 2014
So I am really embarrassed to admit that I've been having stove issues and found the culprit in the auger (a fisher price little people prince). I really had to fight to get it out and it seemed to be fine but I keep tripping the snap disc for the auger. Any ideas? It was clear when I removed Prince Charming but now the stove is working intermittently. I cleaned the vacuum tube. Also the room temp is not keeping up with where I am setting thermostat. Help!!!

Time to jump the #2 snap disc and see if stove runs better. If it does, time for a new disc. I wouldn't run the stove too long like this as that disc is a safety feature for if you are overfiring the stove, or the conv. fan doesn't come on. And how did you get the prince out of the auger? I would also check your feed rate, and adjust accordingly to owners manual. When was the last time everything was cleaned? Behind bricks, heat exchanger tubes, exhaust path? kap

Time to jump the #2 snap disc and see if stove runs better. If it does, time for a new disc. I wouldn't run the stove too long like this as that disc is a safety feature for if you are overfiring the stove, or the conv. fan doesn't come on. And how did you get the prince out of the auger? I would also check your feed rate, and adjust accordingly to owners manual. When was the last time everything was cleaned? Behind bricks, heat exchanger tubes, exhaust path? kap
I cleaned thoroughly a week ago? Including disconnecting the stainless chimney vent and tapping all the dust out and vacuuming it out. I do the firepot and holes in it every other day. Is that frequent enough? The stove is not reaching the thermostat temp. It will work for a while and then stop feeding. I did snap both discs (on auger and one by control box) so I don't know which one is the issue. A combo of needle nose and screwdriver (and elbow grease I have a few bruises too) I went in through the little trap behind the hopper. Prince charming was a bit chewed up...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 113
Pull the wires off the snap disc and jump them together with another wire or paper clip. Be sure they can't ground out on anything. You can also do the same thing with the vac switch wires. Be sure you don't zap yourself. lol I would also check the firepot thermocouple to make sure it is touching the inside end of the cover. It won't read right if it isn't. Stay in touch. kap

So I am really embarrassed to admit that I've been having stove issues and found the culprit in the auger (a fisher price little people prince). I really had to fight to get it out and it seemed to be fine but I keep tripping the snap disc for the auger. Any ideas? It was clear when I removed Prince Charming but now the stove is working intermittently. I cleaned the vacuum tube. Also the room temp is not keeping up with where I am setting thermostat. Help!!!

The joys of helpful children;lol;lol I had a toothbrush in the VHS when my oldest guys were little:rolleyes:

Remember to unplug while setting up the jumpers - kap can walk you through so listen well!

Prior to posting I was reading about cleaning the vacuum tube and the little nozzle at the auger end. My tube was clean but the nozzle seemed a bit clogged. I cleaned it out and the stove seems to be working fine now. Can that be the problem?

That will help the stove run better, but doesn't answer the question as to why you are blowing the #2 snap disc. Stay in touch on how it goes. kap

You've cleaned the hose, but did you check for cracks in it? Another thing that will stop the feed is if exhaust or stove is plugged, door gasket is bad or vac switch is bad.. Also make sure when it quits feeding, that the auger isn't just turning backwards. If it is, you will need a new capacitor. This is a process of elimination to find what is wrong. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.