1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quadrafire Castile Convection Blower Problem

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by gnxlutz, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnxlutz

gnxlutz New Member

I accidently caused a short by hitting the power supply line at snap disc 1 to ground. Once i replaced the Junction box fuse the stove starts up as normal but the Convection blower never turns on. I checked and there is no longer power being sent on the supply line at snap disc 1. I also removed the convecton blower and ran power to it and works fine. Do you think the problem is in the Control Box?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Could well be, I'd want to see the circuit to see where what you shorted is in relation to the hot line and the box, but if you were pulling the overload through the box it may well have smoked. In general with US household AC, anything that is in the HOT line between the fuse box and the point of the short is vulnerable, anything betweem the short point and the Neutral connection is probably OK. (there should NEVER be anything in the Neutral or Ground lines!)

The only two solutions to troubleshooting are either to replace the suspect parts or to go in with some jumpers and / or a meter and play detective.

With a volt meter, check for voltage at each accessible point and see how far it gets through the circuit. When the power stops, either it's something that's supposed to stop it (an open switch) or a bad part... Try jumping around the open, and continue tracing the voltage or see if the fan comes on. One of the opens will be your bad part.

Gooserider
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Agreed. I suspect you toasted the triac that controls the blower.
  4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    I concuuur gentlemen :ahhh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.