Quadrafire Castile Convection Blower Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnxlutz

Oct 20, 2006
I accidently caused a short by hitting the power supply line at snap disc 1 to ground. Once i replaced the Junction box fuse the stove starts up as normal but the Convection blower never turns on. I checked and there is no longer power being sent on the supply line at snap disc 1. I also removed the convecton blower and ran power to it and works fine. Do you think the problem is in the Control Box?

gnxlutz said:
I accidently caused a short by hitting the power supply line at snap disc 1 to ground. Once i replaced the Junction box fuse the stove starts up as normal but the Convection blower never turns on. I checked and there is no longer power being sent on the supply line at snap disc 1. I also removed the convecton blower and ran power to it and works fine. Do you think the problem is in the Control Box?

Could well be, I'd want to see the circuit to see where what you shorted is in relation to the hot line and the box, but if you were pulling the overload through the box it may well have smoked. In general with US household AC, anything that is in the HOT line between the fuse box and the point of the short is vulnerable, anything betweem the short point and the Neutral connection is probably OK. (there should NEVER be anything in the Neutral or Ground lines!)

The only two solutions to troubleshooting are either to replace the suspect parts or to go in with some jumpers and / or a meter and play detective.

With a volt meter, check for voltage at each accessible point and see how far it gets through the circuit. When the power stops, either it's something that's supposed to stop it (an open switch) or a bad part... Try jumping around the open, and continue tracing the voltage or see if the fan comes on. One of the opens will be your bad part.

Gooserider

Agreed. I suspect you toasted the triac that controls the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.