Quadrafire Castile Outside Air Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamk

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2008
Colorado
I am confused by the OAK for the freestanding Castile. It has a channel that fits over a "pre cut" air hole on the bottom of the stove that moves the vent hole to the back of the stove. I found where it appears to go just fine, but the pre cut hole is just a hole that is covered by a flat piece of metal under the ash pan - It doesn't seem to be any kind of air intake at all. Very odd - does this thing really work like this?

Thanks,
Graham

Last edited:
I notice it doesn't even tell you in the instructions to remove the precut metal from the hole, it says for reference only..then in the photo (Page 19, photo 19.4) it shows the air intake channel which you have to use, but the photo says to discard it. Horrible instructions. And yes, that is how it works, it just sucks air in through the ash pan area and through barely air tight connection.

I have seen a few posts where people with an OAK on a Castile would seal up the ash pan with metal tape as to force it to draw air from the OAK, instead of the room. (Do a search for Castile Insert OAK maybe? ) To me is seems like a bad design and an afterthought. I know it will draw air from the easiest source, which if you don't seal anything off, is just the room, via gaps in the ash pan area, even if you have an OAK installed. If I were you I would put some black or clear silicone around the Air Intake Channel, and where the OAK is connected (collar Assembly) and maybe put some appropriate size roping around the ashcan area (in the front where you remove it) as to force it to draw air in through the OAK.

I may be completely wrong in my thinking on all these, feel free to correct me anyone...

Reactions: grahamk
Most of the oaks on the Quads are to meet specs for installation in a mobile home, as it is mandatory to have an oak on a stove in a mobile home. If a home is real air tight, it will help, but as you say, sealing things up helps a lot. kap

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Thanks - sounds like i need to remove a circle of metal when installing - i will look at it again, but yeah, it seems so leaky, I'm not sure if i am even going to bother......

Status
Not open for further replies.