QuadraFire CB1200i Over Feeding...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stayfitz

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2012
Reno, NV
About three days ago I noticed my CB1200i was producing an enormous flame during most startups. The quantity of pellets entering the burnpot and auger activity is way off! The feed rate was adjusted 1.5 months ago based on this season's pellet brand. I always burn on the low setting using a LUX TX1500E. The combustion and convection fans are working in normal sequence too. Plus, no unusual light codes are visible. I thought the problem was related to the burnpot sensor and potential ash build-up on the porcelain "sensor" cover...? I shut down the unit, allowed a complete cool down, and did a cursory cleaning of the porcelain cover and confirmed "sensor" seating at the tip. That was two days ago and still seem to have this problem. Also, only burned 5 bags this season and the stove isn't dirty. Any additional suggestions/thoughts? Thanks

Mine would do that if the thermo couple didn't have enough time to cool down between starts. Installing a thermostat with a swing setting set for 2 degrees solved it for me.

Mine would do that if the thermo couple didn't have enough time to cool down between starts. Installing a thermostat with a swing setting set for 2 degrees solved it for me.

That's interesting... I setup the LUX last season with a 2 degree swing and confirmed the settings again this season. But I think you're probably correct about the thermocouple not having enough time to cool properly. I'll study the cycles and report back

Watch the lights in the control box. I don't remember off hand what light means what but it's in the manual.

I usually get a larger flame at startup hot or cold although I would not have described it as enormous.

Looked it up and the green light comes on at 200 degrees. With mine when the thermostat would call for heat and the green light was still on that is when I would get a really big fire. I think what happens is the start sequence puts in a bunch of pellets to get the fire going and if the green light is lit it will then start feeding the regular amount of pellets depending on my heat switch setting and I end up with a lot of pellets in the pot at once. It only last a few minutes but it actually roars.

I usually get a larger flame at startup hot or cold although I would not have described it as enormous.

Yes, the typical startup flame size is larger, but the flame size and event I'm referencing is CRAZY Large! As in the stove produces a loud chuffing noise when the flames over take the entire front baffle plate(s) and enter the feed chute.

Looked it up and the green light comes on at 200 degrees. With mine when the thermostat would call for heat and the green light was still on that is when I would get a really big fire. I think what happens is the start sequence puts in a bunch of pellets to get the fire going and if the green light is lit it will then start feeding the regular amount of pellets depending on my heat switch setting and I end up with a lot of pellets in the pot at once. It only last a few minutes but it actually roars.

You nailed it...! The issue is associated to stove startup when the thermocouple is still over 200 degrees (and under 600 degrees/red light). The system "over fills" the burnpot and develops a massive flame. Was a little scary the first time I experienced the issue :eek:

Thank you so much for the help!

I think you hit the nail on the head, DB! The initial startup runs the auger for a set time no matter what. Since the green light is still on, it makes perfect sense that it would immediately start the normal feed interval too. You'd probably get 4 or 5 more timed dumps before it ever caught fire. I was sitting here trying to rationalize how he got such a big fire but that makes perfect sense!

I can see that happening when the thermostat switches to a hotter temperature setting. The stove would run, meet the required temp, but the walls and furniture would quickly cool the room back down and the thermostat would call for heat right away again.

Status
Not open for further replies.