Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 Fire Box Air Leak above door - Has anyone seen this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I heard that the original gaskets need changing sooner than normal on these Quads.

However as I was going to paint the inside of the fire box I found a gap where the sheet metel seams come together above the door. The door gasket may seal some but it looks like the leak may extend above the door gasket!!

Has anyone seen this? Do you think some nice RTV on the inside would fix it up?

Looks like I may do this before painting just be sure the seal is good!!!

See pics below:

Attachments

• Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 Fire Box Air Leak above door - Has anyone seen this?
    CB1200DoorLeak (2)SC.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 Fire Box Air Leak above door - Has anyone seen this?
    CB1200DoorLeak (1)sc.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 330
Don.... My gasket closes on the little rib of steel there. So half the gasket is above that little piece of steel sticking out and half below.

Dont know if thats something that changed. But before you seal. I would put the door back on and close it, watching where the gasket will lay.

Pretty sure those seams wont matter. Will post pics in an hour or so, when I get home.

DexterDay said:
Don.... My gasket closes on the little rib of steel there. So half the gasket is above that little piece of steel sticking out and half below.

Dont know if thats something that changed. But before you seal. I would put the door back on and close it, watching where the gasket will lay.

Pretty sure those seams wont matter. Will post pics in an hour or so, when I get home.

Thanks Ken

I would like to see your pics. Also what is your serial number?

Does the fire pot come out easily?

The hopper is plum full of pellets and I haven't burned the Quad in awhile. My stove was made in 08 (not sure of the month either, hidden also) thats all I remember. When I finally burn some of the pellets down and can see the serial #, I will get it. Buts its literally "Full"....

As for the Gasket. Did it use a 7/8" rope gasket?. If so, then the gasket should close on that little steel lip. That lip should go all the way around the firebox. So when the door closes, its pushed into the center of the gasket. You may have to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the hinges. I had to loosen mine, to correctly center the gasket, so it seated right. Adjust both sides so it seats well and is centered. Then tighten everything down.

Mind you my stive is dirty. Only cleaned it once this year. Although since that cleaning. I haven't ran it much...

Have you checked of there is a lip around the entire face where the gasket will sit? They may have changed the design? ?

Hi Ken

Yes, there is a Lip that the gold trim of the top of the door closes on. I can see the gasket will probably cover the vertical seam. However I am sure that the open horizontal seam is above the door gasket and would definetly leak out of the top. So I shot some clear RTV on the inside and let it ooze through the seam and then wiped it off evenly.

I have not pu the new 7/8" graphite impregnated door gasket in yet. I will do that after painting. Thanks for the info.

If you shine a flashlight above the open door can you see a gap in your seam? Did you take pics?

See my pic below

Attachments

CB1200TopOfDoor&LipSC.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 263
Just getting home.... Gotta get Homework done with my Son and get Dinner started (Boy Scouts tonight at 6:30).

Will still be a few. I will take them though.

The gap on mine doesn't go all the way to the lip. But the way the gasket seals on the lip (right in the center), that gap would have to pass the lip..

The lip goes around the whole firebox. This puts a "dent" or "divet" into the gasket. But it also shows it seals well. The top and bottom of the firebox have raised lips, the sides are just brought out and are in line with top and bottom.

One pic is of my gap. Stops shy of the bend.

Another is the "dent" in the gasket (bottom of door, but looks like that all the way around)

The other is me positioning a new gasket 50/50 over the lip to show how it sits. Couldnt take a good pic with the door gasket itself. Door blocked to much of pic.

As for firepot removal. Its pretty easy. Remove the linkage at the bottom of the pot. Loosen wing nut and remove ignitor, remove thermocouple and ceramic cover up top, and lift out.

Attachments

1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 287
    2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 252
    3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 276
DexterDay said:
The gap on mine doesn't go all the way to the lip. But the way the gasket seals on the lip (right in the center), that gap would have to pass the lip..

The lip goes around the whole firebox. This puts a "dent" or "divet" into the gasket. But it also shows it seals well. The top and bottom of the firebox have raised lips, the sides are just brought out and are in line with top and bottom.

One pic is of my gap. Stops shy of the bend.

Another is the "dent" in the gasket (bottom of door, but looks like that all the way around)

The other is me positioning a new gasket 50/50 over the lip to show how it sits. Couldnt take a good pic with the door gasket itself. Door blocked to much of pic.

As for firepot removal. Its pretty easy. Remove the linkage at the bottom of the pot. Loosen wing nut and remove ignitor, remove thermocouple and ceramic cover up top, and lift out.

Thanks for the pics.

I see your seam does not go nearly as high as mine. So I am glad I sealed it, but yours is all set!! Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.