Quadrafire Classic Bay CB1200 RESET button??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, the last item on this unit to figure out is the reset button.

The manual says to press it as many times as needed when 1st firing up the stove to get it going???

This is not a good feature! Why is it really needed? Can anyone shed some light here?

See pic and wiring below

Looks like it temporarily opens the connection to one leg of the T-Stat.
When was having trouble starting the stove today, I pressed the reset button.
After pressing the button, I could hear the auger start and drop more pellets into the fire pot??

Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 manual Page 14
For your first fire it will be necessary to press the Reset Button
once every two minutes until pellets start to drop into the
firepot, then press button one more time. This will fill the
feed system and allow the stove to begin dropping pellets.
The stove will continue to run as long as the thermostat is
calling for heat.
Once the stove has ignited, let the stove burn for approximately
15 minutes, then set the thermostat to the desired room
temperature. Adjust the Heat Output Control to the desired
setting.

Also on Page 15
Occasionally the stove may run out of fuel and shut itself
down. When this happens, the Red Call Light will be on. To
restart the stove, fill the hopper and press the Reset Button.
When you press the Reset Button the Red Call Light will go
out and when the button is released the light will come back
on. You should see a fire in about 4 minutes. If not, press
the Reset Button again.

Attachments

• CB1200FS (10)sc.jpg
    CB1200FS (10)sc.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 990
  • CB1200WiiringResetButtonSC.jpg
    CB1200WiiringResetButtonSC.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,102
  • CB1200ControlPanelDiagram.jpg
    CB1200ControlPanelDiagram.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 704
Its resets the timer for the auger and ignitor.

Quads cant be manually fed to "Prime" the auger. So you let it run a "cycle" (95 seconds of feeding) then press Reset again and let it "cycle" and then possibly again.

It has to be there. Otherwise you would never get it to start when empty and new or every time it runs out of fuel.

Basically a "Prime" button. But it resets the entire start cycle

DexterDay said:
Its resets the timer for the auger and ignitor.

Quads cant be manually fed to "Prime" the auger. So you let it run a "cycle" (95 seconds of feeding) then press Reset again and let it "cycle" and then possibly again.

It has to be there. Otherwise you would never get it to start when empty and new or every time it runs out of fuel.

Basically a "Prime" button. But it resets the entire start cycle

Hi Dexter

Sounds like the initial startup cycle from a cold start is not long enough to get the stove to produce a flame for the thermocoupler!

That is why once the stove heats up you do not have to press reset when the T-Stat shuts it down for a few mins.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG02036-20120218-1108sc.jpg
    IMG02036-20120218-1108sc.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 573
Its not for a cold start.

The reset button is for a "new" stove or one that ran out of fuel.

Cold starts happen every time the stat calls for heat.

The auger spins for 95 seconds. But when its empty. That may not be enough. So after adding a bag.of pellets. Its a good idea to hit the button about a minute in. Or until you hear pellets drop. Once you hear them. Hit reset one last time.

As long as the hopper stays full.... The reset button is NEVER needed. Keep it full.and keep the stove Happy. Empty stoves are un-happy stoves.

Hi Dexter

Oh, yes, I get it now. If the Auger chute does not have any pellets in it then the 95 secs is not long enough to fill up the chute with pellets.
So each press gives it another 95 secs to fill the auger chute!!!

Thanks alot Dexter. I wish it stated it that way in the manual!!!!

This stove is pretty cool.

I ran it in the shed on the Lux T-Stat all day. The stove would come on and make a little fire in the pot.

This kept the shed at 72 degs all day and used very few pellets!!!!

At this rate it may use a bag a week!! I will have to see!!

That is soooo much cheaper then kerosene!!

See >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/85662/ What r u paying for kerosene at the pumps?

The CB 1200 is actually a Great stove. Burns Great on Low settings and heats like a Monster.

Have you ever thought of replacing your Astoria in the Basement. Even if it was just for a trail Week or Two?

Just to see if you could heat your place easier with less pellets?

Your going through stoves quite often now with your little refurb business? Worth a Shot....

Hi Dexter

Well I am still not convinced the Quad will heat better than the Astoria. The Astoria runs the combustion air right against the heat exchanger tubes!

I now have witnessed some of the differences in the combustion air flow of different stoves. This combustion air flow makes a real difference in how the stove heats. a critical part of the design that really varies from stove to stove!! The Pelpro did not seem to have a efficient air flow and the high end was only 170 degrees tops!! The Quad does put out more heat. With the feeder set to approx. 30 it is putting out about 200 degrees F on high. The Magnum Baby Countryside when properly tuned for wood pellets put out 200 Deg F on medium heat level setting. The Astoria with the digital control panel like the pelpro and Magnum is more fine tuned so it pus out 600 deg on the high setting. Now I noticed that the stoves with the Digital Control panels do keep the stove from overfiring which is a good thing.

Now the Quad does have the advantage of opening up the hopper feeder lever more for some really hot burns. However we must be careful not to overfire the stove!

So what is the highest temp you measured out of the heat tubes on your stove running on the high setting??

The combustion (exhaust path) on the Quad goes all the way down the length of the tubes.

Didnt you follow the exhaust path on the Quad? It is quite efficient.

Getting temps of 600° had to be touching steel. Otherwise any stove would shut down with 600° Air Temps.. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.