Quadrafire Classic Bay False starts ONLY below 32 Deg F or Freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heat seeker said:
The vacuum switch is an off-the-shelf item, and its ratings were done under conditions that differ from the conditions in a cold stove. The cold may well be stiffening the diaphragm, especially after it has been subjected to high temps over the years. Wish you had a new one to swap in to see how it works!

So far starting on Hi Heat Level works on the first shot! I will try it on Hi heat level again in the morning, it will still be very cold. I appreciate all the comments. Stoves are not always the same even if they are the same make or model. In this case the control panel could even be bad or just outdated but that is most likely the case from my experience with pellet stoves. Luckily it is a small difference so it may not be worth upgrading to the new control box.

This info mentions a control box Upgrade
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadrafire-...093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b5bb184d

Quadrafire Control Box 3-Speed

- Quadrafire part # SRV7000-205

- Replaces 812-3390, 812-4410, 812-4940, 812-3392 and other control boxes.

- May be an upgrade to your board - (i.e. new part #) email for verification of fit if you are unsure.

- Fits all Contour's, Santa Fe's, Classic Bay1200's and Castile's - All 3 Speed (low/med/high) stoves.

The stove should start on High....... No hopper switches on Quads. Hell, there not even sealed. So why would they need a switch? If it was a sealed system, I could see them using one. But it is not…

Tomorrow, during the actual 4 minute start-up phase (only during this time is the stove on High, unless you have it set to High), try moving the heat switch to Low, then up to High (BEFORE there is a FIRE, while it is igniting). If the Combustion blower cycles up and down through the heat settings, its likely to be a Control board issue. The Classic Bay, Santa Fe, and Castile all start on High, then revert to the users setting after ignition.......

Hello

Well, at 6:10 AM today it was 15.6 Deg F outside and the shed was 20 Deg F inside.

With the Heat Level set to Hi, the stove fired up on the first shot!!

Hi Heat level makes the exhaust fan run faster which creates enough vacuum keep the auger going to feed enough pellets to start the burn!

So that is the answer, the older stove's older control box do not auto start the exhaust fan on high!! See Pic

It says nothing in the manuals about startup speed for the exhaust fan just that it is on 10 mins

Attachments

• CB1200Start1stShotAt15sc.jpg
    CB1200Start1stShotAt15sc.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 287
Don2222 said:
Hello

Well, at 6:10 AM today it was 15.6 Deg F outside and the shed was 20 Deg F inside.

Hi Heat level makes the exhaust fan run faster which creates enough vacuum keep the auger going to feed enough pellets to start the burn!

So that is the answer, the older stove's older control box do not auto start then exhaust fan on high!! See Pic

We can get this verified, plenty of quad techs drop in here or you can call the seller on eBay and ask them what the changes are between the controllers.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

So that is the answer, the older stove's older control box do not auto start then exhaust fan on high!! See Pic

We can get this verified, plenty of quad techs drop in here or you can call the seller on eBay and ask them what the changes are between the controllers.

Good idea Smokey

Do you know Steve Tate?? Does anyone know if he is still around?? This is an older post!
From >> http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-68742.html
hearthman
01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
"You should call Quad Tech support and ask for Steve Tate. He's their guru and one of the best in the industry. Tell them a HHT Field Operations Manager from Region 13 suggested contacting him."

Don2222 said:
Hello

So that is the answer, the older stove's older control box do not auto start the exhaust fan on high!!

Is this a Fact??? Or a theory? ?

Interested in finding out. That would mean if you wanted to run this stove on a t-stat and let it cycle, that it would have to be ran on High all the time, so it started?? No thanks. I wouldnt want to run any stove at full tilt 100% of the time.

DexterDay said:
Don2222 said:
Hello

So that is the answer, the older stove's older control box do not auto start the exhaust fan on high!!

Is this a Fact??? Or a theory? ?

Interested in finding out. That would mean if you wanted to run this stove on a t-stat and let it cycle, that it would have to be ran on High all the time, so it started?? No thanks. I wouldnt want to run any stove at full tilt 100% of the time.

Not 100% of the time not true. Only when starting a really cold stove below freezing. Once it warms up it is fine!! I usually run it on medium.

Maybe the new updated Pelpro control panel has this fix?

I know that is how the Avalon Astoria's exhaust fan works now but maybe not in the older stoves??

Don, do you have the part number for the controller on your stove?

Dexter, that quad with a properly adjusted feed gate can be fired at high without any problems. It isn't like some stoves that the manual tells you not to run on high for more than x minutes. I also am not a fan of running on high but for other reasons than what the stove can handle.

SmokeyTheBear said:

Dexter, that quad with a properly adjusted feed gate can be fired at high without any problems. It isn't like some stoves that the manual tells you not to run on high for more than x minutes. I also am not a fan of running on high but for other reasons than what the stove can handle.

I know it can take High setting. Im not a fan of running a stove like that. You get better heat amd a better soak running on a lower setting.

Not a good practice to me. I prefer Low and Slow. Keeps a good steady warm temp.

SmokeyTheBear said:

I have the older manual for the stove
812-4941 Control Box

I just called the local quad dealer, they have the new box for $180.60 that is not bad!

The new manual has this
#20 -- Control Board 3 Speed -- SRV7000-205 -- Y (Yes stocked at Depot)

I know it will replace the older control box. Just plugs right in.

I recently refurbished a 2001 classic bay 1200 just like yours. It's was abused and nelected. I kept having problems with it just stop feed with it running for bout 20 minutes. You hit the rest and started right back up and 20 or so minutes it would quit again. Also, the control box was alway reading 200 degrees (green light was always on) and it would do the 90 second startup and the a second later just begin feeding the normal feed cycle. I was curious and opened up the box and there was some burned up componets. So I ended up getting a newer control box and it healed it up. Maybe take a look inside the box and you might see something not right!!

Don2222 said:
Hello

So that is the answer, the older stove's older control box do not auto start the exhaust fan on high!! See Pic

It says nothing in the manuals about startup speed for the exhaust fan just that it is on 10 mins

It appears that you never did what was asked. That is BEFORE ignition, move the heat lever switch from Low to High and see if the fan speed changes. You say "Hi Heat level makes the exhaust fan run faster" but we all know that. :)

Don,

I just sent a PM to a member who is a Quad tech and hopefully he'll drop in with information about any differences in startup between the board you have and the SRV 7000-205 one.

Glad you sold the unit Don and Dexter there was a change in how the controller set up the exhaust blower among the changes incorporated in SRV-7000-250.

You should talk to balls of fire.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Glad you sold the unit Don and Dexter there was a change in how the controller set up the exhaust blower among the changes incorporated in SRV-7000-250.

You should talk to balls of fire.

Many Thanks Smokey & Dexter for your help!!!

I was almost grasping at straws but kept on the right road once I saw the auger was not dropping enough pellets in the burn pot.

It was a tough one and I am very glad to know that for $180.60 it could be fixed very easily!!

I am still going to use the Carbon Conductive Grease on the Astoria's Snap Disc contacts so this will never happen in the fall again!!
>> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80407/

So does anyone know where I can get a homeless, slightly old and tarnished pellet stove real cheap??

LOL I am in the market again!

Status
Not open for further replies.