Quadrafire Model 1000 convection blower cycles after stove runs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jhughes

Mar 8, 2022
Washington State
I have a Quadrafire Model 1000 pellet stove and have had no issues with it until this year. The convection blower started cycling after the stove had run and shut down, it comes on for a second or 2 and then shuts off again. After it does this 5 or so times the combustion fans both turn on and they run for several minutes. I started by replacing the snap discs and it did not fix the problem. I then noticed the bearings on the convection blower and small combustion blower were going out and replaced both of these fans, still no luck. I took the entire stove apart and the heat exchanger needed cleaned it was pretty plugged so I cleaned it but still no luck. I started thinking it wasn't moving enough air across the heat exchangers to cool off the stove enough after running so I replaced the large combustion blower and it didn't change a thing.

Fairly frustrated at this point and talking to my local Quadrafire distributer they are at a loss also. It seems to me like the stove is not cooling off enough after running that it is heating the snap discs after sitting for a bit and it starts the fans. Any help would be very much appreciated, really don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

I was thinking the same thing at first but the convection blower is run directly off a snap switch and not the control box. I have constant 120V on one side of the snap switch and when it reaches temp I have 120V through the switch and the blower turns on. Maybe I got a bad snap switch even though it was new?

Yes,I guess you are right, if the wiring is same as most Quads. But the combustion fans would only cycle if the thermocouple was still warm.
I can only guess 2 things, 1 wiring has been changed,messed with or damaged, or 2 stove/flue is very clogged up, may even have crud built up inside the passageways, that smolder and burn even after stove is off.