Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 Drama and Broken Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just scratching my head. With the 90 seconds for blowing crud out of the fire pot, that is 23 restarts a day. <>

I am just scratching my head. With the 90 seconds for blowing crud out of the fire pot, that is 23 restarts a day. <>
That's pretty consistent use of the igniter alright. No bypass method, like manual mode or anything ?

I can not tell you if it exploded with a boom or what, I woke up at 6 am after having to restart it a 12am to broken glass and flames coming out of the glass. I did not hear any sound but I also may have woken up because of the sound We have a mesh gate around it because of the baby and the door was pushed open and knocked the gate.
I did email quardrafire last night about this issue as well as the constant everyday start up problems and they respond saying they are sorry for the inconvenience and they are sure our dealer will know how to fix the issue. This will be the 2nd time in a montj the dealer tech is coming out with this being the first of this model he has worked on and there no mention from quardrafire about my concern about the glass.

I can not tell you if it exploded with a boom or what, I woke up at 6 am after having to restart it a 12am to broken glass and flames coming out of the glass. I did not hear any sound but I also may have woken up because of the sound We have a mesh gate around it because of the baby and the door was pushed open and knocked the gate.
I did email quardrafire last night about this issue as well as the constant everyday start up problems and they respond saying they are sorry for the inconvenience and they are sure our dealer will know how to fix the issue. This will be the 2nd time in a montj the dealer tech is coming out with this being the first of this model he has worked on and there no mention from quardrafire about my concern about the glass.
Stay on them, let them know how concerned you are about this situation. Also that may just be an initial canned reply that you got thus far.

I have not read where the purge puts out the fire in the manual? I have to admit, I have been hosin ole shep on the new stoves, and am not up to snuff on em( I know, I be bad). I am wondering if it leaves enough coals to restart the fire. kap

image.jpg The morning after the Flames went out

In the shutdown section they say that the pellets in the pot continue to burn unlike during the purge cycle. Ergo...

If you drop the feed to minimum and jack up the exhaust for 90 seconds I don't see how much could be left in the firepot. And if they ain't firing the ignitor then depending on one or two embers relighting the new pile dumped in is a recipe for, well, kaboom. Exactly like it happens in a choked down wood stove.

"
Unlike the firepot purge, during shutdown existing fuel in
the firepot will continue to burn without the feed motor running;
but, the exhaust and convection blowers will remain
on until the exhaust has cooled."

My stove was installed this mourning and running good and should be , will post pictures tomorrow of the stove from installation steps to being fired up, to Hp52nova if you don,t have anything worthwhile to post how about making it a read it only on your behalf

Jeff
Hey Jeff, I can't complain at all about how great our stice worked for the first month. It was flawless. After the glass broke it just has been a constant disappointment with the shutting down every morning and afternoon and night the. Giving error messages of 1 red flash or 4. This will be the 3 call to the dealer about problems we are having and we have only had it since the week of thanksgiving

I am dropping out of this one. Shouldn't have gotten into it in the first place. Everything is nothing but conjecture on our parts at this point.

Reactions: kappel15
Hey Jeff, I can't complain at all about how great our stice worked for the first month. It was flawless. After the glass broke it just has been a constant disappointment with the shutting down every morning and afternoon and night the. Giving error messages of 1 red flash or 4. This will be the 3 call to the dealer about problems we are having and we have only had it since the week of thanksgiving
I my opinion that stove should have been removed, not sure how many issues you could possibly have after an explosion.

In the shutdown section they say that the pellets in the pot continue to burn unlike during the purge cycle. Ergo...

If you drop the feed to minimum and jack up the exhaust for 90 seconds I don't see how much could be left in the firepot. And if they ain't firing the ignitor then depending on one or two embers relighting the new pile dumped in is a recipe for, well, kaboom. Exactly like it happens in a choked down wood stove.

"
Unlike the firepot purge, during shutdown existing fuel in
the firepot will continue to burn without the feed motor running;
but, the exhaust and convection blowers will remain
on until the exhaust has cooled."
It also says it shuts the feed rate down to its lowest setting during purge and any stove will burn off its pellets at shut down. I need to do my homework.

View attachment 152637 The morning after the Flames went out

It's slightly less dramatic than ours but still unacceptable.

Tell the dealer you want them to work with Quad to get you a new stove. I would be very concerned that the shut downs and fault codes mean it could do this again - that's what ours was doing before it exploded too.
We also have a toddler so I know exactly how you feel thinking of how bad it could have been. I'm really sorry. : (

Only speculation, but if there is a problem with these stoves, then Quad should stop selling them until it gets sorted out..

Status
Not open for further replies.