Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 Drama and Broken Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand why there is any discussion on this issue. There is one simple solution.
While I agree that the dealer should fix the problem, I also think that it is important for this community to understand what is going wrong.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Also can you describe more what happened? There has been some discord over the word I used to describe the incident and whether it was a 'glass shattering' incident or an 'explosion'.

Neither of those descriptions seem to fully fit what happened.

Do you have pics? Did you see the pics I posted? On ours there was a very loud boom and the glass flew outwards (not just shattered).
It got as far as several feet away from the stove and apparently the metal on the door was also warped.

Was yours similar?

I really want to know if you contacted Quadrafire??

Sorry you are dealing with this too. : (

Also can you describe more what happened? There has been some discord over the word I used to describe the incident and whether it was a 'glass shattering' incident or an 'explosion'.

Neither of those descriptions seem to fully fit what happened.

Do you have pics? Did you see the pics I posted? On ours there was a very loud boom and the glass flew outwards (not just shattered).
It got as far as several feet away from the stove and apparently the metal on the door was also warped.

Was yours similar?

I really want to know if you contacted Quadrafire??

Sorry you are dealing with this too. : (
Hobokenkitchen, while you wait to hear back on your query, what did you end up doing about your stove in the very end. Or is it not over yet ? Last we knew you had an AE that wasn't producing heat as I recall ?

Hobokenkitchen, while you wait to hear back on your query, what did you end up doing about your stove in the very end. Or is it not over yet ? Last we knew you had an AE that wasn't producing heat as I recall ?

It's not over yet. AE still here and still not heating sufficiently. Wood Heat is meeting with Quadrafire tomorrow to discuss. We have to see what they will do.

It's not over yet. AE still here and still not heating sufficiently. Wood Heat is meeting with Quadrafire tomorrow to discuss. We have to see what they will do.
Hope they come up with something good for ya !

HHT has plenty of AEs out there..

These are the new E2, not the AE. Different model. The E2 has the new "Energy Efficient" technology. Whatever the heck that means.

Reactions: Hobokenkitchen
Nah I don't agree. We can't really know the full story with these coupla stoves. HHT has plenty of AEs out there so if they were blowin up in significant numbers I am sure they would be on it. As a manufacturer myself I would want any issues like this coming straight back to me to be sorted immediately. It is a groan when you have a problem, it can be for multiple reasons, the absolutely least likely is an inherent failure, especially on such and old design. Just something wrong with the individual stoves so replace em, simple.

It's a new stove type.
These are not AEs.

Talked to Quadra Fire and they are aware there is an issue with these stoves. Engineers are checking into it to try and find out what is wrong. Hope it doesn't take too long. You know as much as I do. kap

These are the new E2, not the AE. Different model. The E2 has the new "Energy Efficient" technology. Whatever the heck that means.
Electronic gizmos most likely.

"The new Mt. Vernon with Efficient Energy (E2) technology is the most powerful and efficient stove ever designed by Quadra-Fire. E2 technology helps achieve 87% efficiency—saving money by burning less fuel. Plus E2 technology automatically adjusts the blower to maintain desired room temperatures."

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/MT-Vernon-E2-Pellet-Stove.aspx

I have ten bucks that says this little trick is involved.

"
I. Firepot Purge
Purpose: To help remove debris from the firepot and help
the unit burn as efficient as possible.
The frequency of the purge cycle is once every 50 minutes
while the unit is burning. During the firepot purge, the feed
is reduced to the lowest setting and the exhaust blower
ramps up to a very high setting. The purge cycle lasts 99
seconds
"

Pretty good theory IMO.

Two in a short time is something more than a fluke. Quads are known to be good dependable units and performing stoves. I am curious as to how this wasn't discovered in testing phases and the like. Things happen and I am sure Quad doesn't want this going on any more than new owners do. Are they doing some type of an after burn or secondary burn to get the efficiency rating up? If so this might be a cause of the volatile gases going off or something along those lines.

I do know that when some of the outdoor wood boilers went to this type of technology they had numerous issues. Not saying they are going after a complete secondary burn of smoke and gases but the question is are they edging into this scenario or border lining it trying to boost EPA efficiency ratings? It could be a multitude of things or even the glass cutting process. If glass has any type of little nick on the edge (often unseen) the integrity is gone. The very slightest nick or chip will leave it prone to cracks and breakage. I have messed with a lot of glass in windows and store fronts. Just another thought as to why the glass is failing possibly. Explosions are another story.

My stove was installed this mourning and running good and should be , will post pictures tomorrow of the stove from installation steps to being fired up, to Hp52nova if you don,t have anything worthwhile to post how about making it a read it only on your behalf

Jeff

I have ten bucks that says this little trick is involved.

"
I. Firepot Purge
Purpose: To help remove debris from the firepot and help
the unit burn as efficient as possible.
The frequency of the purge cycle is once every 50 minutes
while the unit is burning. During the firepot purge, the feed
is reduced to the lowest setting and the exhaust blower
ramps up to a very high setting. The purge cycle lasts 99
seconds
"
Kind of like today's diesel trucks going into regeneration mode ( they actually do it to burn soot out of the converter though).

Last edited:
My stove was installed this mourning and running good and should be , will post pictures tomorrow of the stove from installation steps to being fired up, to Hp52nova if you don,t have anything worthwhile to post how about making it a read it only on your behalf

Jeff
Looking forward to the pics !!

Jeff, Congrats on the new stove. Enjoy it and get the pics up because we like them. Don't feel slighted by HP52NOVA because we do tease around here a lot. It's all part of the fun. I don't think he meant anything il-willed with it and I've posted some stupid questionable stuff also. We all do at times.

Hang around long enough and you'll see people who get along here very well going rounds. No big deal and all I am saying is don't take little shots the wrong way. I'm sure it was meant to be funny but with some recent issues I can see it being seen as a jab which it likely was not.

I just finished reading the whole manual for the E2. I would hate to pay the electric bill for one. The thing lets the fire die in the "Purge" cycle. The thing is essentially restarting the stove every 50 minutes. Buy your ignitors by the case. :eek:

Kind of like today's diesel trucks going into regeneration mode.

Yep! They know how to ruin perfectly good operating systems. The re-gen and exhaust on my newer Duramax is a joke. Hate it! Kills fuel economy somewhat too. I am about ready to yank it as many do.

Yep! They know how to ruin perfectly good operating systems. The re-gen and exhaust on my newer Duramax is a joke. Hate it! Kills fuel economy somewhat too. I am about ready to yank it as many do.
International 4900's put you to the side of of the road and then you wait while it does re gen. Takes about 15 minutes of smoke show. But worse than that is periodic maintenance, this puts the vehicle down to a max 5 MPH and you get it to a dealer where they pull the burner and send it off for rebuild. It's a serial number match too, EPA regulated you have to reinstall the original, no swap out program. Ridiculous, it's about a two week turn around !!

Meanwhile back at pellet stoves...

I just finished reading the whole manual for the E2. I would hate to pay the electric bill for one. The thing lets the fire die in the "Purge" cycle. The thing is essentially restarting the stove every 50 minutes. Buy your ignitors by the case. :eek:
With the new 300 watt igniters, it shouldn't be much of an issue. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.