Quadrafire or Cumberland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babcockwi

Aug 28, 2015
Necedah, WI
Hi all, first post here, been reading the forums for a couple years now and amazed with all the knowledge.

I have an opportunity to buy two very nice pellet stoves. They are both approximately 5 years old, and have been used very little.

The first one is a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200. Comes with fair amount of piping and wall thimble. $850 obo

The second is the Cumberland MF3800. This comes with a very nice hearth pad. $1000 obo.

Would like some feed back on which stove to purchase. I have a log house 1200 sq ft. main floor pretty open with vaulted ceiling and an open loft that is about 500 sq ft. and a partially finished basement.

Would possibly like to switch to pellets full time. Currently I have a Johnson OWB that eats a lot of firewood. I also have a gas furnace for back up.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May be nice to have the option of a multi-fuel but I have not used either stove so hard to give you user advice:)

Search the forum for trouble areas...

Keep in mind that Cumberland stoves are no longer made even though Ardisam plans to support the stoves for several years , parts could eventually become an issue.

I can only vouch for the Quad 1200. It's a reliable strong heater that's easy to maintain and service. That would be my choice.

The quad probably will hold its value(the deal you state it will probably go up) with its name and company going to be around awhile with some support. Can try blending some corn as its pretty cheap right now but you are close to some pellet manufactures in WI.

I have a Cumberland, burns pretty much anything you give it, yes, some have more ash than others but it has a huge ash drawer, heats 1700 square nicely. low maintenance, just keep the pot clean along with the burn plate, make sure all the holes are clear in the burn plate. No issues so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.