Quadrafire outdoor Air Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
MSG, or anybody else who knows, what exactly comes with the Quadrafire outside Air Kit? I haven't been able to get a look at how the secondary and primary air intakes get their air (other than from the bottom of the stove). I gather this outdoor air kit would allow one to run some kind of hose/pipe to an exterior source. I think it would help the heating of my old and probably drafty house even more, but wondering if this outdoor air kit is something I could fabricate myself as I like to DIY whenever possible...

Jay

It will be interesting to see what you find out about your air sources on the Quad and if the OAK also provivides secondary air as well as primary. On my 30-NC the secondary air intake is seperate from the primary, which is where OAK would be attached.

On the quad stoves, the primary air and secondary air both draw from the same cavity under the stove, so that when installed with an OAK, all combustion air comes from outside.

It is certainly something you could fabricate on your own Jay provided you have modest fab skills. Check your manual for the installation instructions and you'll see the kit doesn't include much more than a rodent screen and perhaps a simple adapter plate. You supply the actual pipe, as well as the gaskets to seal the pedestal against the floor.

Pull off the front panel of the pedestal and you'll be able to figure it out easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.