Quadrafire Santa Fe howling on startup.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davearnold5511

Nov 17, 2022
53175317Xx$
Upon ignition of pellets I got a puff of smoke into the room, from a leaky door seal. Replaced it and now stove makes a loud sound like a low vibration, sounds like someone blowing over top of a bottle upon ignition of pellets. Goes away after initial fire dies down a bit.
Where should I start looking? Tried cleaning, looked for obvious leaks, etc. Not sure how the combustion air is brought into the stove.

Most pellet stoves do that or a variation of that noise
It is normal when the flame starts it burns the gases in the smoke
Normal some pellets smoke more than others and take longer to ignite.
The more smoke the more noise some people have a small explosion

Reactions: VintageGal
Resonance from air flow, just what you say it sounds like, it is. In my case, sometimes get that from the exhaust. The combustion air comes in below the exhaust in the back (mostly). If you have outside air also piped into that, rather than just using the room air, I suppose that could resonate too.