Quadrafire Santa Fe Not Starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johndeere216

Dec 27, 2009
Beaver Falls Pa
I have a Quad Satna Fe fireplace insert that is about 9 months old. I fired it up last week to see if everything was working and it was. I let it burn for a few minutes and turned it off again. Today I needed it for heat and of course it isn't starting. When I turn the Thermostat the stove clicks and the red light showing it is calling for heat comes on. I can see an orange glow under the burnpot which I assume is the ignightor coming on. Otherwise it does nothing. No blower noise, no auger noise, no pellets. What should I do next?? Thanks guys.

Thanks for the reply. I did check the leads. Still nothing. I'm not going to go any further with it since I think it should be under warranty. I don't want to do anything that might void it.

johndeere216 said:
......I'm not going to go any further with it since I think it should be under warranty. I don't want to do anything that might void it.

Smart move.

Well I finally got the service guy out here yesterday. Guess what was wrong with it? STINK BUGS. The blower was full of them and it wouldn't turn. When he turned it by hand you could hear them clanging around in there. He spent a good while shopvac-ing them out of there and then the blower came on. The only problem is that the it still isn't drawing enough air to move the auger. He thinks the flue is fulll of them too. He wants me to get a chimney sweep to clean them out.

OH wow! Who would have guessed stink bugs? They are such a pain and they are everywhere, we just had a bunch in our office today. Good luck and at least it isnt anything major.

All my family live in Berks County, Pa and they say that those stink bugs are like a plague. You sure were invaded. I wouldn't want to be the chimney sweep! Maybe it's time for the leaf blower routine?????

Did you have your vent pipe closed off over the summer, or have they just come in the last couple days? I too live in Berks County PA and yes they are terrible here. I never would have thought to check inside the stove for them.

No, it was't covered. I'm not that big on walking around on the roof and honestly never thought of it anyway. The stove worked fine mid september, so they came in after that. They start coming in when it starts getting cold and it looks like they liked the pipe temperature.

STINK BUGS

Damn critters anyway.

The only issue we have had with thin gs setting up house keeping in the stoves is Yellow jackets
(Bees)

One late summer I was preparing to clean out the vents on the stoves and whitnessed a bunch of the little begars flying in and out of the pipe.

So a popped the door open slightly to listen "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" coming from within told the story

This was on the quad, so the issue was easy, gave the Tstat a twist and sat back a watched the fireworks.

Once the stove had run for about 5 minutes I shut if off and let it cool down. Cleaned out the vent and things were fine again.

What is a stink bug, I dont believe we have them here in western Oregon???

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
STINK BUGS

What is a stink bug, I dont believe we have them here in western Oregon???

Snowy

I'm sure my Father-in-law will ship you all you want!!! They secrete a chemical that stinks to high heaven.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

Oh, and it you read the link, you'll see they have only been in Pa for 12 years. They originated in CHINA, and a few other Asian countries! Gee, I wonder how they came from China...................

We don't have the stink bugs, But we got those PITA Asian beetles that come looking for a place to winter after the first cold snap!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.