1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Quality wedges

Post in 'The Gear' started by bryan, Oct 3, 2012.

1. bryan

bryan Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, DE
    This will be my first winter burning, but up to this point I've split all my wood using a sledge and a couple straight wedges. It works fine and I enjoy it, but either I don't remember my childhood well enough or the wedges these days are made of play-doh. Is there a quality manufacturer of wedges out there? Would I be better off buying a maul so I am not using the wedges so intensely and having to keep dressing them to address their mushrooming.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    thats good ole' american imported steel for you. Sorry, I gave up hand splitting and went hydro!
    But you are doing the right thing by dressing them because eventually a chunk will come flying off and could be dangerous.
    Thistle and smokinj like this.
  3. bryan

bryan Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, DE
    I had a grandfather who lost an eye from a metal shard (was a maintenance man at the local mine) and thus taught the importance of dressing them.
    ScotO and Nixon like this.
  4. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    Might just want to spend a little money and get a good maul or X27. Its good to have an assortment of splitting equipment. I have the manual splitting equipment but will some day have either electric or hydo...or both.
    Thistle likes this.
  5. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    By hand, I would use my X27 and maybe my 8lb maul as a change of pace. I quit using the 10lb sledge & wedges when I realized that it's more dangerous than my comfort level. The rest would get noodled with a chainsaw.

If I really wanted to use wedges, I'd try to find some old USA made wedges secondhand.
    amateur cutter and Thistle like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Bryan, I'd also get a splitting maul in either 6 or 8 pounds. You will notice the splitting goes much faster with less work. Save the wedges for the knotty logs.
    ScotO and Thistle like this.
  7. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Lots still out there with a little searching.Ebay,local garage/estate sales,flea markets,farm/estate auctions.Can still be found quite cheaply, sometimes less than 1/2 the cost of the vastly inferior new chinese,indian & mexican ones. I've had mine 20 to 30 yrs now,they were mere pennies per pound.
  8. RichVT

RichVT Member

9. bryan

bryan Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, DE
    Sounds like its time to hit up the local flea market for some wedges and a maul. The X27 sounds like prime christmas gift material
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I fully agree. I think ours are about 60 year old or more. I didn't buy them new so God only knows how old they are.
    ScotO likes this.
  11. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Gransfors bruks makes a wedge. Forged steel. Costs $$ though
  12. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    buggyspapa likes this.
  13. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    ++1 on the the advise to dress the wedge. I once had shrapnel nail me badly in the leg, bled like a stuck pig and it scared the %*(#) out of me. Blood was literally spurting out like a geyser.
    I searched high and low for good quality wedges - everything I tried mushroomed on the first couple smacks. I have some of my Dad's wedges from the 1950's - now those are made of good steel.
    The wood around here just laughs at a maul, everything is kind of knotty or twisted. Best thing I ever did was get a hydraulic splitter!!
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  14. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    rich
    i love estwing tools and bet that is a good quality wedge. i find that 'fins' on a wedge and even a maul can get piched in a split. have you noticed this?

OT
  15. ciccio

ciccio Member

Loc:
    new jersey
    I have the Gransfor bruks wedge, works great hand made from forged steel and very expensive, if you dont mind spending the money i highly recommend it