Query: Pictures of micore? Micore questions. DR Nexgen info?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I'm trying to get together my material for building my hearth pad and have a couple of questions/queries.

Micore is notorious for being hard to find and I'm thinking about hitting some local (60 miles away!) surplus/salvage/recycle centers. Does the 160 and 300 look the same or different? I'd sure hate to come home with a bunch of junk styrofoam or something. :-S

Could somebody possibly post some close-up pictures of micore and hopefully state whether it's 160 or 300? That would help greatly!!

From what I've read the micore 300 has less r-value (but still enough for my app) than 160 but is more dense. I understand that micore isn't strong in spanning strength, but in regards to compression strength would I be correct in thinking that the 300 is stronger than the 160? Would the difference in compression strength between the two really matter?

If I end up having to order some of the 20" piece$ offered online is there a problem with having a simple butt-joint in it?

Lastly, any recent word on using Durock NexGen for hearth work?

Thanks,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.