Question about 20 - 22" oak logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiowa

Oct 25, 2007
East Colorado
Hello,
Does anyone have experience about firewood cut to 20-22" lengths? I know it is very non standard, but I have run across this wood and it is hard to find good deals on hardwood in my area. I can barely fit it in my firebox, but it would fit lengthwise only (or crosswise of course). My question is, based on your experience will it be ok or should I plan on further processing? If I cut if further, should I cut to 16" and burn the stubs also (does that even work), or cut them in half and get 10-11" splits?

I have an older timberline wood stove and I love it, this is my first year going to wood heat. Thanks for all your posts, this site is very helpful.

How big is the firebox on your stove?

If it fits lengthwise burn it

If it fits, then it fits...I wouldn't worry too much about it. I usually try to cut close to the max length that my stove will swallow. It means less cutting of the wood and longer burn times in the stove. But it burns pretty much the same - just instead of throwing in 2-3 little stubs, I throw in one long log.

Corey

When I get some scrounged wood that is two or three inches too long I cut it to the correct length (18 or 19 inches, stove can only take 20) then the left over stubs, I call them cookies, I use them when building a fire, similar to kindling. The 'cookies' dry fast and light up easy.

Luke

If you are going to get out the chainsaw to cut the logs, a bunch cut to fit your firebox and a bunch cut in halves is probably your best bet. Use the cookies and the half lengths to get the fire going and the long ones for the sustained burn. Turning the halves so that they point inwards parallel to the air flow allows you to get a really hot fire quickly.

20"-22" is my problem length, as 21" or so just barely fits side-side in the very front of my firebox (which tapers towards the back). I usually cut them in half, and then load those logs front-back. But it seems like your fit isn't so tight?

I burned 24" for years in a big square firebox with them placed front to back. If I was to be cutting them down I would cut them in half. It gives you lots of flexibility for loading the stove. As suggested you can do some end lopping to get longer splits and use the chunks for getting a good bed of coals established.

I cut all my wood 20-22". The upstairs stove (VC Winterwarm) can take 22" and the downstairs stove (hearthmate 5000) can take 25". It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.