Question about a raised firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slumlord_Nook

Jan 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Hey all. I've been considering getting a pellet stove for a while and I finally went and talked to someone today at a local stove store. I'd need an insert as I have an existing fireplace. They sell Harmon stoves, and I was specifically looking at the Accentra 52i (as they have two models and this was the one big enough to heat my house.) Anyway I'm curious if my firebox is ok to accept an insert. I'm not talking dimensions either. I measured and I thing it's chonky enough to get the insert in, and I'll have someone come out from the store and measure to ensure I didn't screw up the dimensions. The thing I'm concerned about is the face that the firebox is a couple feet off the ground. Is that ok? Does the front of the stove need to be supported? I can't find that information everywhere and all the pictures of pellet stoves I see seem to be in fireboxes flush with the floor. I should have asked the guy at the store but I didn't think of it and they're not open until Tuesday, so I'd like to know if I have to start considering other options. I feel like he would have said something if there would be a problem, but I also don't like to leave anything up to chance. Included are a few pics of what the area looks like. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20220115_181905782.jpg PXL_20220115_181913767.MP.jpg PXL_20220116_030621394.jpg

In order to make your install look right, you're gonna
need a hearth riser in front of the brick facing below the
existing fireplace. Otherwise, it's not gonna look too
aesthetically pleasing. The bottom of the Harman Insert will
just be hanging out in the air.
Periodically, you will need to pull the insert out of the firebox
for maintenance & the rail system will also need to be supported in
order to do that.

Height off the ground is immaterial except for servicing it. They even make mid wall mount wall stoves in Italy. However, I think there now is an insert that can be fully serviced without any removal (Quadrafire??). Perhaps you should check into that.

Ok good to hear that the height won't make a difference. And ya, I figured it may look odd. I can probably find something to close the gap, or maybe see what a mason can do? And as for the Quadra-Fire, I'll look into that as well. Thanks :)

Is bricking or plating off the existing fireplace and just have a free standing stove in front on the hearth , with stove and exhaust collar tapped into chimney an option ??

Reactions: Mt Bob