Question about BigE Heat Levels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
If I use different heat levels on the Big E, does the combustion blower also adjust it's speed? For example, if I put it on level 2, does the combustion blower slow down? I'm trying a new method of leaving it on manual mode, level 2, 24x7 and adjusting the damper but it seems to get a somewhat lazy flame and very dirty after 24 hours.

On another note, it keeps my garage between 62-65 depending on the outside temp and burns about one bag in a 24 hr period on level 2. I think I may leave it on 24x7 manual mode like this instead of off/on with the thermostat. At least it keeps the temp constant and allows everything to soak the heat.

If I use different heat levels on the Big E, does the combustion blower also adjust it's speed? For example, if I put it on level 2, does the combustion blower slow down? I'm trying a new method of leaving it on manual mode, level 2, 24x7 and adjusting the damper but it seems to get a somewhat lazy flame and very dirty after 24 hours.

On another note, it keeps my garage between 62-65 depending on the outside temp and burns about one bag in a 24 hr period on level 2. I think I may leave it on 24x7 manual mode like this instead of off/on with the thermostat. At least it keeps the temp constant and allows everything to soak the heat.

The big-e runs its combustion blower at one speed, full out, on every heat level.

Hmm... so does that mean while on level 2, I can leave the damper where I had it optimally set for level 4 and not have a dirty stove with a somewhat lazy flame? or is there not enough fuel to support that much air?

You will have a fuel air mismatch at every heat setting except the one that the damper was properly set for. That means on one or more of them you'll be feeding the fire too much fuel and causing a dirty burn and on one or more of them you will not be feeding enough fuel and it is possible the fire will go out due to lack of fuel.

Is it possible to set the damper for a good burn on level 2, if I am leaving it on level 2 all the time?

Thats what I am trying to do... find that happy medium on level 2, but can't seem to find it. Yet.

How does the pellet consumption sound for the temp I'm getting on level 2? It's an attached, insulated R13 garage. Bag/day about the normal for something like that running 24x7?

You are going to burn no more than or less than what the stove can feed at level 2 the temperature inside the garage will vary depending upon the temperature outside the garage walls and roof if you fire the stove at a fixed rate.

Thats what I am trying to do... find that happy medium on level 2, but can't seem to find it. Yet.

How does the pellet consumption sound for the temp I'm getting on level 2? It's an attached, insulated R13 garage. Bag/day about the normal for something like that running 24x7?

That sounds about right. I normally have mine on setting 2 and find that it uses about a bag every 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.