Question about blower on late 80's Superior zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livetoridemyxlh

Dec 2, 2015
New Hampshire
I have an older Superior zero clearance fireplace, model number C 13860. The home was built in 1987 and I believe the fireplace was installed at that time. The blower fan blows very little hot air and the unit as a whole really does not give off much heat. The fan is mounted in the slot underneath. It is basically a flat "pancake" type fan that was shoved into the lower slot. Here is a picture:

IMG_1583%201_zpswkm43gfj.jpg

Some warm air comes from the lower slot; none from the upper slot. I know the bottom slot communicates with the upper slot because I pointed a light into the lower slot and could see light through the fins of the upper slot.

My question is this: Do I have the correct fan installed in this unit? Is there another type of fan I could use to get the air from the bottom slot up through the top slot for this stove? Are these older zero clearance fireplaces really efficient enough to justify buying cords of wood?

Your expertise is appreciated.

Glenn
Central New Hampshire

Are these older zero clearance fireplaces really efficient enough to justify buying cords of wood?
no unless you go with a modern epa certified unit they will really contribute little to no heat to your home. The age really has nothing to do with it the new ones like yours are just the same

Status
Not open for further replies.