Question about distance to combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I need some input on what distance to combustibles means. I'm putting a new stove in. It'll sit in front of the space where my gas insert fireplace was. I have a framed chase. I built a non-combustible fire box using steel studs and wonderboard. It'll be lined with either brick or slate tile. Behind that is the wall of my framed chase - OSB. The spec on my stove says 18" from single wall stove pipe to combustibles. My combustible wall is 13" but it sits 6" behind my wonderboard/tile firebox and I have fiberglass insulation between the fire box and the wood wall.

My question is, does that violate the rule?

Thanks,
-john

Not quite sure how to call this one. It's a good one to ask about. The large air space certainly is going to add a large measure of thermal protection, but it sounds like this is a captive air space and not ventilated. Is that correct? If so, I am not sure what the spec would be. You might be fine, hard to say. With a ventilation slot top and bottom, it would qualify as a wall shield if the insulation wasn't in there. What stove will be installed? What is the clearance if you use a double wall connector?

Hearthstone Heritage is the stove.

Yeah, I think it would be called captive. It's a framed section bordered by studs. The studs are a beyond the 18" requirement. So the space is effectively open at the top and closed at the bottom.

It's not closed up yet, so I could place a wall shield there. It could be 1-2" from the wall and open top and bottom with no insulation between the shield and the wall. What gauge steel should such a shield be made of?

Yes, I can probably use double-wall. My spacing is tight between the top of the stove an the top of my firebox, and single-wall seem easier to find the parts to make the fit.

-john

The house had a zero-clearance wood fireplace at one time. It was replaced with a gas insert some time ago and the full height chimney pipe was removed. I'll run my new vent pipe up the existing chase. The clearances are fine for the class A chimney pipe. It's just the stove pipe I'm concerned about.
-john

Add a heat shield to the single-wall and you are good to go, or use double-wall and it is no-sweat. If you decide to use double-wall and need help with the fittings, don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks for the input. I'll post photos of my configuration at some point.
-john

johnstra said:
The house had a zero-clearance wood fireplace at one time. It was replaced with a gas insert some time ago and the full height chimney pipe was removed. I'll run my new vent pipe up the existing chase. The clearances are fine for the class A chimney pipe. It's just the stove pipe I'm concerned about.
-john

Removed all old and installing a class A. Thats what I wanted to hear. Sounds good. Waiting to see some pics. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.