question about Englander n30 side clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I have cut out a cardboard mock-up to see where my new stove will fit best. In looking at the manual and it lists the side clearance to an unprotected wall at 20", an unprotected wall with side and rear shields with a single wall connector at 19", and with both rear and side shields and a double wall connector at 20"? On a protected wall you can be 12" away from the side regardless of using any heat shield or single vs double wall connector. Is the side heat shield designed more to improve the rear clearance of the stove? With side and rear shields with a protected wall and double lined connector the rear clearance is 5" vs 12" with no shields.

michaelthomas said:
I have cut out a cardboard mock-up to see where my new stove will fit best. In looking at the manual and it lists the side clearance to an unprotected wall at 20", an unprotected wall with side and rear shields with a single wall connector at 19", and with both rear and side shields and a double wall connector at 20"? On a protected wall you can be 12" away from the side regardless of using any heat shield or single vs double wall connector. Is the side heat shield designed more to improve the rear clearance of the stove? With side and rear shields with a protected wall and double lined connector the rear clearance is 5" vs 12" with no shields.

to answer your question in green , yes it is. the side heat shields do not extend all the way up the sides of the unit so the exposed firebox must be at the "non heat shield" clearance as for the clearance with double wall being farther , the reason is that double wall pipe holds heat and thus drafts a bit harder , so the stove physically got hotter in testing hence the longer clearance measurement with double wall. the back however has the standard heat shield and with additions of the side shields to protect radially towards the back from the sides it allows closer rear clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.