Question about heat shield.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlegiant

Oct 10, 2015
Bainbridge Island
Hello all. Just a quick question. I have the area behind where my stove down to the studs at the moment. I plan on using concrete board spaced an inch away as my heat shield and tiling that over in front.

What I am wondering is if there would be any issues with also using concrete board as my primary "wall" instead of sheetrock. I know it isn't needed for code but I figured since I had to put something back up there anyways I may as well pick something non-combustible. So basically I'd have concrete board walls and then another concrete board shield spaced 1 inch away from that and tiled over. Am I missing any issues that may arise from doing this? Am I better of just putting sheetrock back up on the walls instead? Thanks a ton!

-Matt

Hmmm. Interesting idea and I like your reasoning. I haven't worked with concrete board enough to know the answer to this, but this question came to mind: Is concrete board completely airtight, like sheetrock? Or is it somewhat porous?

You can see why that would make a difference, I'm sure.

If 'twere me, while I had it open I'd insulate that area with rock wool, not fiberglass. That aside from whatever else you do.

hey Mark. Thanks for the reply! So you are thinking the non-porous sheetrock may be better for airflow behind and keep it rolling up and out the top I gather?

Also thanks for the insulation suggestion. I had not even thought of that. I am slowly learning as I go and trying my best to fix mistakes made by previous home owner.

Another quick question I thought about or anyone else reading...I am working in a corner (not 90 degrees though maybe like 135 degrees) I see by code the air must flow in a corner from the bottom to the top. And from the sides is not an option. Would I be allright resting the concrete board shield on the floor and cutting every few inches for airflow to get in and flow upwards? Kinda like how you would have to do if you built a brick wall at the base? I am just concerned in the corner if I can't place spacers directly behind the stove that the two pieces of concrete board will basically be "floating" in the corner and may not offer enough stability to tile over.

Status
Not open for further replies.