Question about NY Requirements for Solar Credits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickh1001

Jun 4, 2008
upstate NY
Can anyone give me a clear answer, as to whether it is a requirement that PV systems be installed by a certified installer in order to receive the various credits?

I get conflicting answers. I realize that the items themselves must be certified by a manufacturer (i.e., not home-made kludges), but can I install a certified system myself and get the full credits?

We are putting in a new wood gasifier furnace this year (I am getting much help over in the Boiler Room), so our home equity loan is more or less budgeted for that project. However, I am thinking now if we have enough funds left over, I would like to install a smallish PV system with batteries to act as the power backup source. I am thinking of spending the money on a minimal number of PV panels this year, but instead put the money into the inverter and various hook-up components and batteries, to act as the basic power backup for the boiler and circulating pumps. Then next year, after saving so much money from our (non) oil bill, I can expand the solar system further.

I want to do the install myself, but am not sure if I could still get all the available NY State credits for the system if I do.

Is anyone familiar with the process for NY State?

You've probably looked this site over: http://www.dsireusa.org/library/inc...Code=NY10F&state=NY&CurrentPageID=1&RE=1&EE=1

It says "Installation must comply with all federal, state and local codes; must be grid-connected and installed by a pre-approved contractor; must comply with New York's Standard Interconnection Requirements"

If you have experience you can apply to become an eligible installer. Check out the http://www.powernaturally.org/ website for more info. I've been looking into wind power lately and keep running into the solar side of things. NYS has some really nice incentives and I've been thinking I'm a fool not to get into some of this.

Poult

Status
Not open for further replies.