Question about OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
First of all I assume OAK stands for outside air supply? Not sure where the K comes from but anyway.. I have a Drolet Eco-65 and after inspecting the fresh air supply on the stove with the side doors off. It appears there is a big space between where you attach the air supply duct to the stove and the actual internal duct to the combustion part of the stove. I assume the outside air supply is not intended to be 100% outside air but only a portion? Just wondering?

OAK = Outside Air Kit.

A lot of stoves are designed like that. It will still help the overall efficiency and air will follow the path of least resistance.

My Quadrafire has a bunch of spots that can suck in air. Not a sealed system. Although I did try and seal a lot of the little holes and gaps. Not very pretty (high temp silicone/red) but it had to do something.

There are only a couple small spots that can suck inside air. But even if you do nothing. It will still suck majority of the air from outside. Better to use the air from outside, from a source that goes to the stove and not have a lot of negative pressure in your home. Than to have No OAK and bring in the air needed for combustion through all the leaky drafty spots in your doors, bedooms, windows, etc.

OAK is a large debate. Do a search up top and you will have plenty to read for the next couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.