question about pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggmiii74

Oct 5, 2016
Illinois
Has anyone heard of marth wood pellets? I can get them locally at a big box store for $4 a bag, or drive 4 hours round trip for somersets for $4.50 a bag. I'm new to pellet stoves, but from what I've read the somersets are a good pellet.

I would suggest trying a few bags of each to see how they burn for you. Marths are made in Wisconsin. IIRC not a bad pellet but not exceptional either. I tried them a few years ago but the Spruce Points and Lacretes are better pellets (and higher priced) but brought in locally.

Are they softwood or hardwood?

Has anyone heard of marth wood pellets? I can get them locally at a big box store for $4 a bag, or drive 4 hours round trip for somersets for $4.50 a bag. I'm new to pellet stoves, but from what I've read the somersets are a good pellet.
To me Marth pellets were to long and would bridge in the hopper. I prefer Indeck as a inexpensive pellet. They are pretty consistent 3/4 inch long and a hardwood. they probably have more ash then Somersets but emptying a ash bucket is easy for me.
Marth and Indeck were both hardwood and same price at Menards.

The Marth pellets do come in both wood types but can't remembered what I tried...

I have a bag of the Marth, bought it to test the stove. It says 100% hardwood on the bag. I've been doing some research and haven't seen the Marth mentioned so I wanted to ask

Somersets are a cleaner burn than Marth, which come out of Central Wisconsin. But there's nothing wrong with Marth pellets. So you can spend an extra 15 minutes a week cleaning your stove or an extra four hours chasing after pellets.

My Harman burns anything, and for $200/ton, I would buy the Marths in a heartbeat if they were fairly local to pick up.

Reactions: bags
I use Marth in a Quadra Fire and a St Croix, In my opinion they are a good pellet for me although we mix corn with them. They seems to burn with less ash then the Indek.
Best bet is to get a couple of bags of what is available and give them a try. Also hauling tons of pellets more than a few miles sometimes gets pricey.

Stopped by the Menards today to buy my first ton of pellets, it's local and only 10 min away. The yard worker dropped a pallet down from one of the top bins, I could see they weren't Marth pellets, as there was a pallet with the brown Marth bags that I could clearly see right next to the one he brought down. Speculative that I wasn't getting fuel pellets, I cut open the plastic wrap before I left the yard. Lo and behold a pallet of Somersets. 1 Ton out the door for $164.00 and I still have the Menards 11% rebate to collect...I think I'll be going back tomorrow, as I saw there were a few more pallets of the Somersets :)

Great deal. Menard's stocks Somersets from time to time, but up here in Wisconsin they're the exception rather than the rule.

Load up while you can get them!

good steal, oh I mean deal :)

Reactions: Lake Girl
Menards in Massilon Ohio has Somersets @ $189 ton plus 11% rebate thru Saturday the 22nd. They had 112 ton couple weeks ago. $200 ton regular price. Was told they get 4 or 5 different brands in. Just so happens it's Somersets right now. Can't beat the price.

Hi

You may be able to find Pro Pellets where you live, they are from Michigan and are decent pellets, the company also re-bags them for Menards as Magic Spark Pellets. You can find them around me (West Michigan) for $190-$200 a ton all day long, I got them for $169 a ton in May if I remember right.

Here is their site, you could contact them and see if they have distributors near your location.

http://www.fiberby-products.com/products/wood_pellets.php

Kirtlands are also from Michigan and are excellent pellets, probably better than Pro Pellets slightly, but they are a little more per ton. They are a blend of hard and softwood.

http://kirtlandproducts.com/retail-locations/

AbusWrench
Thanks for the tip on massilon. I burn corn but at that price I might consider. I haven't priced corn yet this year, they are just starting to pull it out of the field. I will be making a phone call to the co-op in the morning.

Marth also sells pellets rebagged for Mills Fleet farm. I have tried all that they sell at FF. Seems the difference between the blue label and red label is negligible and the pine are well digested in the Elena.
Marth is a shavings company that makes a lot of animal bedding. The pine pellets are also available in the horse-animal bedding dept.

Hi

You may be able to find Pro Pellets where you live, they are from Michigan and are decent pellets, the company also re-bags them for Menards as Magic Spark Pellets. You can find them around me (West Michigan) for $190-$200 a ton all day long, I got them for $169 a ton in May if I remember right.

Here is their site, you could contact them and see if they have distributors near your location.

Kirtlands are also from Michigan and are excellent pellets, probably better than Pro Pellets slightly, but they are a little more per ton. They are a blend of hard and softwood.

I would agree with you about Pro Pellets being a decent pellet. I tried a ton of Kirtlands a couple of years ago and would consider their heat output to be about 80% of the Pro Pellets. But, things may have changed.

I burned Pro Pellets all last year (3 tons) and they worked great.
Ron

Hi

Stove shop where I got my stove, Dougs Chimney Sweep and Stove Shop in Strasburg, sells Pro Pellets. Good pellet. Seems on par with Lignetics.

AbusWrench
Thanks for the tip on massilon. I burn corn but at that price I might consider. I haven't priced corn yet this year, they are just starting to pull it out of the field. I will be making a phone call to the co-op in the morning.

Nice bike adayrider. I've got an older Honda Shadow VLX. Yes, the farmers around me are busy pulling the corn and beans from the fields. We all know what that means, stove time!

I just got back from the feed mill. 7020 lbs or 3.51 ton or 125.3561 bushel for $440.63 or $3.70 a bushel or $125.54 a ton. This is bulk price. If this winter is like last year, I will need 1 more ton which means less than $600 for heat this year.
Great year to burn corn. Only problem is after all the rain I have my corn wagon stuck in the yard. LOL

Last edited:
I would suggest trying a few bags of each to see how they burn for you. Marths are made in Wisconsin. IIRC not a bad pellet but not exceptional either. I tried them a few years ago but the Spruce Points and Lacretes are better pellets (and higher priced) but brought in locally.

Are they softwood or hardwood?
Are the Spruce points any good , I have a chance to get them locally for about 20 $ less a ton than the energex I have been useing , Same distance traveling ,just a difference between Hdwd and sft wd..?

Spruce pointes are softwood that burn a bit hotter due to the turpene contained in the woods of spruce, balsalm, and fir, at least that has been my experience. Ash is usually fluffier and less coarse the hardwoods. Always best to try a couple of bags in your stove to see how they work for you.

Reactions: SESZOO
I would agree with you about Pro Pellets being a decent pellet. I tried a ton of Kirtlands a couple of years ago and would consider their heat output to be about 80% of the Pro Pellets. But, things may have changed.

I didn't burn enough of the Kirtlands to tell, I know they were similar to the Pro Pellets, but more expensive (like $40 more per ton). Not better enough to buy them...the Pro Pellets are hot, that's for sure, and you can't beat the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.