Question about removing coal grates to burn wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdenver

Dec 20, 2020
Pennsylvania
I have a Newmac combination furnace CL 115-170G. The old owner burned wood directly on top of the grates for years which led to them becoming warped. Since I have owned it I have used a plate to cover the grates for burning wood. The manual says that there should be a minimum of 1" of wood ash but that is close to being level with the loading door. So I want to remove the grates and start burning wood from ash pit instead. The manual for this model is a bit ambiguous as to if this is possible so I'm coming to you guys. Please help lol

I have a Newmac combination furnace CL 115-170G. The old owner burned wood directly on top of the grates for years which led to them becoming warped. Since I have owned it I have used a plate to cover the grates for burning wood. The manual says that there should be a minimum of 1" of wood ash but that is close to being level with the loading door. So I want to remove the grates and start burning wood from ash pit instead. The manual for this model is a bit ambiguous as to if this is possible so I'm coming to you guys. Please help lol
Without knowing one way or the other, I would initially question whether the ash pit is designed or able to withstand that kind of direct heating.