Question about stove top temperatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

aries339

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Chicago Area
Hello all -

I have done forums searches and found a lot of helpful info, but it all varies on this question:

What is a typical "cruising" temperature for the stove top?

I know that this will be different stove to stove; I'm just hoping someone can tell me if it at least *sounds* like I'm burning well. My firebox is only about 1 cubic foot, so I have to use short logs, and I've been using two at a time N-S, but I could fit a third E-W. During the peak of the burn cycle, when I seem to be getting really good secondary combusion with the air supply almost closed, my stovetop thermometer reads about 550 - 650 degrees.

Does that sound right? What would adding the third E-W log do? I'm hesitant to do it because I'm not sure if the air will flow properly, or if it will burn just fine - and raise the temperature too much. If it would just make it burn longer at the same temperatures, that would be great... Right now I have to reload about every 90 minutes.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

~Ty

550-650 is fine for most stoves.

Try the log the other way, the stove shouldn't turn into a pile of molten metal on the floor. It doesn't hurt to experiment cautiously.

pen

Not sure why you are getting such short burn times. My R-3's get a 8 to 10 HOUR burn cycle on 3 splits placed N/S. surface temps run 500-600, and they run really clean on year and a half seasoned mixed hardwood.

Manual sez use a magnetic thermo 8" up on the flue. 550*F is the average flue temp and don't exceed 750*F.

Wow! That sounds high for the flue temperature, unless you are talking about internal temperature.

We typically have from 350 (when we reload) to 650 and even close to 700 but don't want to go over 700. Even at 650 the flue temperature (external single wall) will read around 350.

I agree with Pen- this wood burning stuff is a lot of trial and error.

Been working with my stove for three years now and still do not think I have it at maximum, although I a getting better.

To answer your question, my stove top is usually between 450-600, and my pipe temperatures are usually around 280-300. The second number I am trying to improve, but my stove is 32 years old!

Those pipe temperatures posted earlier seem really high. I am not expert, but the shorter burns makes it sound like you have plenty of draft and perhaps the third log will help?????

Again, I am no expert, only thinking off the top of my head.

Agree with Remkel - trial and error - I am always trying to improve my performance. If you are trying to maximize your burn time - fill your firebox to the max....get it hot...then back the air-intake down. Have fun!

Morso's instructions are kinda flakey:

"Under normal firing, the average flue temperature in the stove pipe, measured 20 cm above
the stove, is approx. 300° C (550°F). The maximum flue temperature in the stove pipe must not
exceed 450° C (750°F). If the flue temperature exceeds 450°C (750°F), it is considered as over
firing and may cause premature wear and tear of the stove.

To help gauge the correct running temperature of your stove, we recommend you use the Morsø
Flue Gas Thermometer (part # 62901200). The Flue Gas Thermometer magnetically attaches
onto the stove pipe approx 20 cm (8â€) above the stove’s top plate and measures the surface
temperature of the stove pipe. Please see your authorized Morsø Dealer for availability."

They give references for flue pipe internal temps but say to use a thermo that measures external temps.

Doesn't 550-650 sound kind a high for only a couple splits in a stove? I would try and keep her under 700 stove top. Wonder what that Morso thermometer looks like? Maybe they guestimate the internal flue temps with the external thermometer?

Found a picture of the Morso thermometer, says it measures the flue gases inside the stove pipe. Looks a little different than regular stove pipe thermometer. Their 400 is where my 500 is but both peg out at 900.

http://www.morsoeusa.com/Flue-Gas-Thermometer-501.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.