1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question about Tarm lower door leaking?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by bbb123, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbb123

bbb123 New Member

Loc:
    Coxsackie, NY
    I took a picture of my lower door does anyone have any idea why its leaking on side (paint burnt). Its doing it in same spot on hinge side of door. Took a picture of it open also in prime gasification mode.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Looks to me like the door gasket is leaking. On mine, they suggest lubricating the gaskets with graphite lubricant. I haven't done it yet.
  3. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Looks like a gasket leak, but I'd do an incense test to see. It should be under negative pressure, though, so you shouldn't get gas coming out. Eric and I can both open our lower doors when it's running. Maybe the Tarm is different.
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    He's obviously got it going there. My guess is that when the flame hits that lower door, it's blowing out through the gasket.

Funny, a few years ago that would have been a "cigarette test" or some other smoke-based consumable.
  5. Tarmsolo60

Tarmsolo60 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Adirondack Mountains
    Make sure you check under the door frame. I had to bolt door frame on the tarm i have. then the door went on. if the door gasket looks good its probably between the door frame and the boiler that is the problem.
  6. bbb123

bbb123 New Member

Loc:
    Coxsackie, NY
    Yeh I had to also its not that its the seal between the door and and the frame. There was some kinda epoxy between the frame and the boiler I think, its been awhile now. Im gona go do that "incents-cig test".
  7. Tarmsolo60

Loc:
    Adirondack Mountains
    I just looked at my paperwork and it just calls it furnace cement. probably some good old fashioned furnace cement between the frame and the boiler would take care of your problem.
  8. bbb123

bbb123 New Member

Loc:
    Coxsackie, NY
    I checked with smoke its not leaking air, when I crack open the door it sucks the smoke in. I think I have to replace that gasket. I'll call Tarm, I called them on Veterans day to order a new ceramic and they got it to me the next day. Hey Tamrsolo60 we go fishing on Tupper lake every year we stay at that red roof hotel right by the lake.
  9. Tarmsolo60

Loc:
    Adirondack Mountains
    Good luck with the repair, I'm from Tupper Lake but moved to Piercefield (about a whole 3 miles away) about 4 years ago. Don't tell everyone about Tupper Lake, They will all want to start coming up.
  10. EricV

EricV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Saranac, NY
    Hey, I lived in Saranac Lake almost all my life but moved to Saranac about 8 years ago. Almost took a Job at Sunmount, but stayed at DEC in Ray Brook.

I have the Tarm 40.

Eric
  11. EricV

EricV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Saranac, NY
    Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's leaking from behind the frame. your picture is verbatim of mine.

I'm going to remove it and repack the furnace cement around the frame and re-install it.

Eric
  12. bbb123

bbb123 New Member

Loc:
    Coxsackie, NY
    Yeh it was the furnace cement between the frame and the boiler. It was all missing I also had a couple inches on the top door missing to EricV might wanna check that also. Eric Johnson you were talkin about a greenhouse I figured out a new use for my storage tank.

Attached Files:

13. bbb123

bbb123 New Member

Loc:
    Coxsackie, NY
    That didnt work new picture editor.

Attached Files:

14. Jim Post

Jim Post Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    I was curious if those leaking combustion tunnel doors were like that from the get go or gradually developed the leaks over time. How long have those boilers been in service before the leaks developed?

Thanks,
  15. bbb123

bbb123 New Member

Loc:
    Coxsackie, NY
    Mine has been burning 24/7 for 2 years this is my third winter. They just started leaking this year its the stove cement they use to seal the door frame to the boiler dried up and fell out. Took about 20 minutes to fix.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.