question about wood and compressed logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check with Coastal Farm..
Not a normal stock item (never shows online), but your local store may carry them on occasion. The Cornelius store has them, but not always -- you have to call & check. (The Cornelius store just calls them "Energy Logs").
10% Sr. or Veterans discount on Tuesdays.

Wilco Farm stocks the HomeFires, but they are very expensive, even by the pallet.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next season. I'll take that 10% too.

I don't have any scientific data just my expirience. Niels are great, but expensive. If I had to buy cord wood I would buy ecobricks. They were performing best out of all different brands I used other than Niels. Dry red oak burns better than ecobricks. What I don't like about ecobricks bricks is the way they coal. They coal just like saw dust. Niels coal more like coal or red oak. If money was no object Niels are the winners hands down but ton for ton they are almost twice as much as ecobricks.

Interesting. I haven't tested EcoBricks yet. One of the characteristics I liked about BioBricks was the low ash residue.

I don't have any scientific data just my expirience. Niels are great, but expensive. If I had to buy cord wood I would buy ecobricks. They were performing best out of all different brands I used other than Niels. Dry red oak burns better than ecobricks. What I don't like about ecobricks bricks is the way they coal. They coal just like saw dust. Niels coal more like coal or red oak. If money was no object Niels are the winners hands down but ton for ton they are almost twice as much as ecobricks.
That is interesting. I wonder why they coal differently? Aren't they all compressed bi-product? Bear bricks don't coal worth a darn either. Whatever method of manufacturing; Neils is the best IMO. If I could get a deal like bcrtops, I would consider that very reasonably priced when comparing to local hardwood prices from dealers.

One major difference is the pressure used to compress the brick or log. It's relatively easy to create a sawdust log using moderate pressure. The lignins warm up enough to bond it together in shippable form. But apply the heat of a fire and they rapidly decompose into an ashy mess, much like a giant cigar ash. Very high pressure log forming equipment is rarer and proprietary. Higher heat develops under the high pressure and the bonds become stronger. These logs hold their shape while burning. Another difference is the sawdust. Some wood species create a lot more ash than others.

Home Fire states the following for their logs:

Continuous Extrusion Bio-Extruder
Our patented technology for wood waste densification is the result of decades of research and testing of various compaction and densification equipment. Traditional machines use a ram piston to compress wood waste into solid logs, but the logs are not heated thoroughly binding only parts of the log causing it to fall apart and burn incompletely. Our bio-extruder pressurizes the wood waste to the core of the log, which causes it to heat to nearly 400 degrees.

This temperature melts the natural lignin in the wood particles, and the pressure causes them to bind tightly together. The log is then passed through a cooling tube and is slowly ejected as new material forms in behind it. When the protruding log is of desired length it is automatically cut off and a conveyor moves it to the packaging area.

http://www.homefirelogs.com/environment-advanced

"Our compressed firelogs are able to produce more heat because of the patented technology which compresses the log to the core allowing it to burn in the heat conversion stage longer.

Due to the high amount of sawmill waste in British Columbia, all our logs are produced with wood waste. The bio-extruder can also be used to compact other waste material such as wood byproducts, peanut shells, sunflower seed shells - virtually any bio-mass that contains natural lignin - and transforms it into a useable commodity. This commodity may be formed into either a solid log or briquette for use as home heating or industrial fuel, or as a cooking fuel in countries where burning material is scarce and/or impractical."

I belive that begreen nailed it in a head. It's all about the pressure which was used to make a brick. When you buy them you can tell if they are dense or not so much. Niels were the most dense of them all. Ecobricks were second dense of the ones I used. If Niels were not so expensive I would buy a ton a year to supplement my wood but it came to $400 a ton so for that I am rather buy oil.

Begreen I tried biobricks and I wasn't impressed with them. Ecobricks are a touch bigger and also produce minimal ash residue.

Begreen I tried biobricks and I wasn't impressed with them. Ecobricks are a touch bigger and also produce minimal ash residue.
I liked them, but haven't done a direct comparison to other brick products. There are a lot more of them on the market now. How many did you burn at one time?

I'll snoop around and see if I can find some EcoBricks to try. I'm hoping to make it to Tractor Supply to pick up some of their product too.

I belive that begreen nailed it in a head. It's all about the pressure which was used to make a brick. When you buy them you can tell if they are dense or not so much. Niels were the most dense of them all. Ecobricks were second dense of the ones I used. If Niels were not so expensive I would buy a ton a year to supplement my wood but it came to $400 a ton so for that I am rather buy oil.

Transportation across country = cost. Idaho is a lot closer to Portland Metro area than you!
The HomeFires are manufactured in Northern WA.

Interestingly enough, the NIELS are made on equipment ~80 yrs. old. Not really a secret how they are made I would think.

I think I burned 6-8 ecobricks at a time. I also used them 2-4 with a cord wood, which worked great. I felt that biobricks were not as high compressed. There is a brand of logs made I ct called all-nighter I believe which is pretty close to what Niels are. For me it boils down to cost. Right now oil is $2 or less a gallon so I am rather buy oil than bricks. Cord wood is free minus my time.

Old thread, I know. But curious, OP did you end up trying the Rona "Facto" brand?

Old thread, I know. But curious, OP did you end up trying the Rona "Facto" brand?

Hey there! Sorry for the late reply. I have been working out of province with not-so-steller-internet. Back home now!!!

To sum up my experience. Real and very dry wood is awesome. Facto logs are a great addition to the stove to supplement wood. One or 2 logs with some not so dry wood.

I would not heat excusivly with the facto (or any other compressed logs ONLY because I can get my wood for free or extremely cheap. If I had to process all my wood i would consider a $200 purchase to go in with my wood.

If i planed to burned occasionally to add ambiance this would be an awesome product. Right now during my time away one of my tarps blew off and the wood was dampened from snow and rain so I am currently picking up the facto logs on an as needed basis to burn the dampened wood.

It won't burn as long as real wood and it won't throw as much heat as quality dried wood but it is a good product in my mind.

Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to chat

Status
Not open for further replies.