question for a friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
So, bragging about you guys has led me to having ask this question, and I apologize in advance for not doing the research before I ask. I am going to run and see what I can find for my friend, but here is the question.

Can you put a stove, any kind (wood stove or pellet) in a garage where a pre-existing double walled SS chimney stands?

Having limited experience with this, he tells me there is a double wall SS liner in his garage, he would love to heat it some how as he is a musician looking for a room to practice in and not disturb his two young children. He lives in CT, house built in 1997ish, and has a garage that is attached via breeze-way. He is thinking of putting in a stove, not sure what kind, but I was worried because of some things I have seen here that have said you are not allowed stoves in garages. Is this correct? Does he have any options when it comes to the pre-existing chimney?

Thanks in advance and I am going to go do some more looking around myself, but knew you guys are great with this type of thing.

Happy New Year and thanks in advance.

I suspect if he is not using the garage as a garage, but instead using it strictly as a "band room" he would be OK -- the real concern seems to be with the presence of flammable liquids (cars, gasoline cans, aerosol cans, etc.) in a garage used as a garage.

Now as for putting in any stove with the existing set up . . . it would depend on the set up, clearances, size of the pipe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.