Question for BK Princess owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbels

Mar 6, 2014
Lima, NY
I was doing my first "cleaning" of my stove yesterday, it was the first time it has been totally shut down since it was installed mid February. I shoveled it out and vacuumed it out when I noticed something in the front bottom. After looking it over, I examined the inside of the stove and noticed that it was one of the steel that was welded above the front bricks. There are four of them, the one on the left was still in place and didn't move at all when I wiggled it, the second and forth were now laying flat against the top of the fire bricks, and I could tell if I wiggled them too much they would snap off like the third one that was now in my hand. I have the stove top active/inactive indicator and the flu thermometer. I just don't think I ran it hot enough to start loosening welds. I am now worried that there are other things that are possibly coming apart. I checked all the others on the side and back and those seem to be secure. My first question is, have you experienced this on yours? Second, what do you think I should do about it? I assume I should let BK know ASAP, but it this something they can re-weld in place or would the unit need to be replaced? Thanks!

Maybe a welder forgot to go back over tack welds? Give BK a call and take some pictures to email them.

Contact Blaze King.
We had one Princess that had a bad weld on a firebrick retainer. It's very isolated, and doesn't pose any safety issues. They will likely hire a welding company to re-weld the retainers.

The retainers themselves are made of very thick angle iron, the firebox that they are welded to is not even as robust. Just a crappy weld that day and one of the easiest repairs to make. You could not have gotten the stove hot enough to cause this damage. It's not your fault.

I spoke with BK, they told me it was something that must have occurred during production, something along the lines of what begreen suggested above. They will take care of it. Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.