question for Coaly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesteader23

Oct 24, 2015
Michigan
We're looking to replace our V.C. Defiant with a Fisher Grandpa Bear III woodstove. There are a few used ones for sale in our area. Are the pre 1980 stoves any better than the 1982 model? What is your opinion of a Grandpa Bear III Stove? Thank you for any info you can give us.

Welcome to the Forum;

The pre 1980 will not be UL listed, so that can be a big factor.
Most older models didn't have shields on the bottom or rear. (they were optional but most were for fireplace hearth installations and not needed)
Older models also won't have nickel or brass plated doors or have a glass model available.
Older models will not have a factory baffle.

Model III is preferred having the above mentioned qualities.
My personal opinion of any of the double door Fireplace Series is they were made to fill a need for people who wanted to view the fire. They were designed to be capable of open door burning with screen in place with larger outlet to prevent smoke roll in. You give up a LOT for that capability. Smaller cook top, much more heat loss up an 8 inch flue, (unless decreasing to 6 which works fine, but is against code to reduce) The burn cycle is different burning across the stove. A firebox designed for wood should be deep and narrow. Just like a wood burning locomotive had a deep narrow firebox to fit wood. They get less air far back from the door, so in the morning you have a good coal pile with charcoal ready to ignite. You can remove some ash from the front where it has burned down to fine ash, and rake the coal pile ahead. Build your fire on it, and it takes right off. Wait until 3 PM with a double door, you won't have coals in the back or a warm flue. This type of burning never requires the stove to go out to clean ash. That is a requirement when it's your only heat source. Also the burn is much stronger with a single door since the air goes down the logs lengthwise and can burn like an oil burner in there to get it going. Just completely different burning characteristics.
Plus the single door stoves take longer wood with less cutting. There is enough room on top of them to cook an entire meal.
I heated for years with a Goldilocks and tried the screen once. The stove doesn't heat much with door open and they are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode. Open door with screen is great in case you have damp wood and need lots of air to get it going. I used the screen more for starting than anything. Starting a single door stove is easier since the air and heat goes down between the logs to start it easier.
Papa Bear is the same heating capacity of Grandpa, with a 6 inch chimney requiring less heat loss up the stack. No comparison once you try both stoves.

Welcome to the Forum;

Thanks for all your info. I will keep you informed of my purchase.

The pre 1980 will not be UL listed, so that can be a big factor.
Most older models didn't have shields on the bottom or rear. (they were optional but most were for fireplace hearth installations and not needed)
Older models also won't have nickel or brass plated doors or have a glass model available.
Older models will not have a factory baffle.

Model III is preferred having the above mentioned qualities.
My personal opinion of any of the double door Fireplace Series is they were made to fill a need for people who wanted to view the fire. They were designed to be capable of open door burning with screen in place with larger outlet to prevent smoke roll in. You give up a LOT for that capability. Smaller cook top, much more heat loss up an 8 inch flue, (unless decreasing to 6 which works fine, but is against code to reduce) The burn cycle is different burning across the stove. A firebox designed for wood should be deep and narrow. Just like a wood burning locomotive had a deep narrow firebox to fit wood. They get less air far back from the door, so in the morning you have a good coal pile with charcoal ready to ignite. You can remove some ash from the front where it has burned down to fine ash, and rake the coal pile ahead. Build your fire on it, and it takes right off. Wait until 3 PM with a double door, you won't have coals in the back or a warm flue. This type of burning never requires the stove to go out to clean ash. That is a requirement when it's your only heat source. Also the burn is much stronger with a single door since the air goes down the logs lengthwise and can burn like an oil burner in there to get it going. Just completely different burning characteristics.
Plus the single door stoves take longer wood with less cutting. There is enough room on top of them to cook an entire meal.
I heated for years with a Goldilocks and tried the screen once. The stove doesn't heat much with door open and they are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode. Open door with screen is great in case you have damp wood and need lots of air to get it going. I used the screen more for starting than anything. Starting a single door stove is easier since the air and heat goes down between the logs to start it easier.
Papa Bear is the same heating capacity of Grandpa, with a 6 inch chimney requiring less heat loss up the stack. No comparison once you try both stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.