Question for experts: Is this okay? (diagram attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I'd to start burning my new stove.
Can I use a single wall adaptor to connect Metalasbestos Model SS to Double Wall stove pipe. My combustible clearances are within limits. I was using the adaptor in the previous installation. Now, I'm wondering if using Double Wall stove pipe changes anything regarding the adaptor.

I'll have to wait another week if I get a Double Wall adaptor.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 563
I think you should use the proper adapter. This is a piping system. The double wall adapter will give a positive connection between the ceiling support box and the connector pipe. It'll look a lot better too.

You're right - I should have the proper piece.
I went to the stove shop today and they did not have the adaptor in stock. I was given mixed answers as to whether the adaptor itself is acutally double walled. I want to have a good set-up, but don't want to buy a piece I already have.

Do you know anything about this?

Our old metalbestos setup was single wall, but this looks similar to the way Simpson does it. If so the adapter is like a male to male connector that sits inside of the class A and double-wall connector.

But I am wondering about your pipe. Is it also transitioning from 8" to 6"? If so, it will need a reducer.

When in doubt, call Selkirk with your current class A pipe info: 1.800.992.VENT (8368)

Yes, I'm going from 8" to 6" pipe; and Metalasbestos Model SS ceiling pipe (class A?) to EXCEL (ICC) double wall pipe.
My shop guy said he wanted to order an adaptor for the Metalasbestos, then the reducer to connect the two pipes. And, I was unconvinced that he was sure if the reducer was single or double wall. If it's single wall, I'm doing all this to get back to where I'm starting.

The new EXCEL double wall pipe fits nice and snug over the reducer I have now photographed above. I'm wondering if this is not a good set-up. I'll talk to Selkirk.

Thanks for the telephone number. That will be helpful.

I think they'll tell you to not mix flue brands. These are systems with parts designed to tightly couple and lock one to another. The coupling system is not standard between pipe brands.

Hmm. So I should have purchased Metalasbestos (Selkirk?) double wall stove pipe. I guess this can be a lesson for others out there.

I thought buying from my local stove shop would be the right thing to do to since they answered a lot of my questions in the past, and EXCEL ICC seemed to be a top of the line brand.

Is there any sealant I can use to secure the connection where the two brands meet? Is it okay if it fits snug, or should it be air tight,?

Excel is good pipe, that's not the issue. I don't know if this can be done well. Your dealer should have informed you about mixing brands. I'd ask them next. Maybe they also sell Selkirk pipe and can make it good.

I've been reading this forum regularly for a year and I never remember reading anything about this.
Sorry to prolong this mundane predicament with additional questions, but what if I was using single wall pipe. Would I be able to use a different brand than Metalasbestos? And what about if the two crimped ends fit together snug, wouldn't that be okay?

It looks like it was already setup for single wall. Whether clearances of 18" to combustibles are honored is hard to see from the picture. If they are you should be ok with single wall pipe.

The subject does come up occasionally, but sometimes under a different heading: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15132/

Update: Selkirik just told me that as long as my ICC double wall fits over the connector to the Metalasbestos chimney fairly snug it's fine. He said that the connections do NOT have to be airtight (because of the negative draft).

If anything seems wrong with this PLEASE LET ME KNOW . . . and if I disappear from this forum that's not a good sign.

BeGreen said:
It looks like it was already setup for single wall. Whether clearances of 18" to combustibles are honored is hard to see from the picture.

The subject does come up occasionally, but sometimes under a different heading: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15132/

BeGreen, thanks for all your patience and help.

Yes, it was set up for single wall. That's what was there when I bought the house. Now, I'm installing a new Regency stove and trying to make everything adhere to code. I bought double-wall pipe because my set-up was half an inch short of clearance requirements for single wall pipe. The rear stove wall height ends just below the bottom of the chimney connection so there is lots of open space around the single wall reducer.

Status
Not open for further replies.