Question: Insert install in soon to be remodeled basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hydes2004

Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Hello Woodburners,

The wife and I are in the process of finishing our basement. The plan is to move our Vermont Castings Winterwarm Insert form our living room into the basement.

The basement fireplace has a separate flue that runs from below grade level up to the chimney. I’m guessing the run is about 20 feet. I plan on re-lining the chimney with an 8” Stainless Steel flex liner (like I currently have for our living room woodstove setup).

I`m not overly to concerned with heat loss as the basement as our basement will be insulated with 2” XPS foam board insulation, this includes sealing the sill plate as well as using Delta-FL as a floor underlayment.

My question for you everybody is what should I do?

This is a picture of our current basement fireplace. Please excuse the mess, we are currently having an interior French drain put in.

I would like to completely remove all of the existing stone. I installed our insert in the living room fireplace, but never tackled building surround. I think I will need to build out the area around the fireplace since the 2” XPS Foam and 2x4`s are going to protrude outward further than the current stone.

What are my options?

Thanks

Attachments

• fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 183
  • fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 175
If you want my advice get a different insert. I really think they are one of the worst stoves vc made. And they have had some bad ones.

If you want my advice get a different insert. I really think they are one of the worst stoves vc made. And they have had some bad ones.

Not currently on the table. I rebuilt the stove 2 years ago. I understand that are prone to issues, but it’s staying here for the time being. BK princess some day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not currently on the table. I rebuilt the stove 2 years ago. I understand that are prone to issues, but it’s staying here for the time being. BK princess some day :)

It wont run right on an 8" that is why i would not even consider installing that vc.

It wont run right on an 8" that is why i would not even consider installing that vc.

Yeah I would end up removing the 8 and putting in the right liner. I think the BK wants a 6. I would love to get a new stove, but for the time being she’s staying (unless a deal pops up in the classifieds section)

Yeah I would end up removing the 8 and putting in the right liner. I think the BK wants a 6. I would love to get a new stove, but for the time being she’s staying (unless a deal pops up in the classifieds section)

In that case i wouldnt install anything till you can get a good stove. This is just my opinion take it for what its worth. But i think installing it would be a complete waste of money.

Don’t remove the Sweet Looking Stone:) You can do something like I did after taking 6x6 beams & Carving them up into Axe Cut Beams & add them on each side or the wood mantle! It helps tie it all together then use cedar planks above to bring about the Awesome wood theme:) The stone can b wire brushed or sand paper if needed cleaned up. It’s a great reflector of the heat from stove. My hearth I built n used tile all over it to have a nice place to sit while firing up the stove:) You have so much potential to work w the wall around it :) It would bam it all out if any Timber Framing could be done as I did in my House but Your basement fireplace stove wall would b a Blast to see Timber Framed:) Here some photos of helps any w what The Good Lord allowed us to accomplish:)Sorry for the screen shots on photos...
IMG_5246.PNG IMG_5228.PNG IMG_5230.PNG IMG_5232.PNG IMG_5233.PNG IMG_5236.PNG IMG_5238.PNG IMG_5241.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t remove the Sweet Looking Stone:) You can do something like I did after taking 6x6 beams & Carving them up into Axe Cut Beams & add them on each side or the wood mantle! It helps tie it all together then use cedar planks above to bring about the Awesome wood theme:) The stone can b wire brushed or sand paper if needed cleaned up. It’s a great reflector of the heat from stove. My hearth I built n used tile all over it to have a nice place to sit while firing up the stove:) You have so much potential to work w the wall around it :) It would bam it all out if any Timber Framing could be done as I did in my House but Your basement fireplace stove wall would b a Blast to see Timber Framed:) Here some photos of helps any w what The Good Lord allowed us to accomplish:)Sorry for the screen shots on photos...
View attachment 221429 View attachment 221430 View attachment 221431 View attachment 221432 View attachment 221433 View attachment 221434 View attachment 221435 View attachment 221436
That looks fantastic but not everyone wants that aestetic.

Reactions: yaker57
View attachment 221429 View attachment 221430 View attachment 221431 View attachment 221432 View attachment 221433 View attachment 221434 View attachment 221435 View attachment 221436
That looks awesome Thanks for the idea! Defiantly going to save this in our potential remodel idea album.

Reactions: yaker57