Question on Auto Air Blower Function for Regency Insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fcwest14

Dec 20, 2015
Weston, CT
For reference I have either a H2100 or I3100L regency model insert. I have the feature on the blower where I can set it to auto and it goes on / off when the insert gets hot enough or cools down. When I setup my overnight burn I set it on auto and on high. When I have been waking up in the morning the blower isn't off, but going on for 1-2 seconds then off for 1-2 seconds, instead of completely off. If I open up the insert its still slightly warm in there but not hot enough I think the blower should be going, and if I turn off the blower for a bit, then it stays off. Wondering if others have experienced this, if it's normal, or what I should do. Thanks for much for any advice.

Are you sure that is not an I2400?
http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/I2400.aspx
i2400.jpg

I would try running the fan on low and see if that works.

On some stoves the snap stat can cycle on and off when the stove is on the edge heat-wise. The fan turns off as it cools the stat down but once off there is enough heat to kick it back on. Every 2 seconds sounds quick but I agree with the previous post to run the fan on a lower setting over night unless you absolutely have to due to high temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Supersurvey
On some stoves the snap stat can cycle on and off when the stove is on the edge heat-wise. The fan turns off as it cools the stat down but once off there is enough heat to kick it back on. Every 2 seconds sounds quick but I agree with the previous post to run the fan on a lower setting over night unless you absolutely have to due to high temps.

I agree with that, but by the morning it shouldn't really be on the edge anymore since the fire was last restocked at 11pm and now its 7am or so. I have it on high to get max heat blown out and get the heat to further away areas of the house, to try to help heat the bedrooms overnight, as opposed to the living room only where the insert is. Could it be a defect in the machine that I should look to fix or not worth it?

Or should I not particularly care if it does that since I will turn it off in the AM anyways (as it won't do any damage)
Not likely to do any damage I suppose, just annoying. I look at it this way though, I would rather move a smaller volume of hotter air than a larger volume of relatively cooler air. To me it's 6 of one half dozen of the other situation but...if I leave the fan on a lower setting the insert will stay hotter longer which promotes clean burning for as long possible. And as first mentioned by Supersurvey running on a lower setting would probably reduce or maybe eliminate cycling of the stat.

Not likely to do any damage I suppose, just annoying. I look at it this way though, I would rather move a smaller volume of hotter air than a larger volume of relatively cooler air. To me it's 6 of one half dozen of the other situation but...if I leave the fan on a lower setting the insert will stay hotter longer which promotes clean burning for as long possible. And as first mentioned by Supersurvey running on a lower setting would probably reduce or maybe eliminate cycling of the stat.

I guess my only issue is of trying to get the hotter air to further away room which is why I'd need the higher setting / faster blower, otherwise I'd leave on low. Unless I'm overthinking and it will dispurse on either setting. Again, trying to get warmer air to the upstairs are from the living room where the insert is. Thanks again for any insight or advice as invaluable to me!!

I guess my only issue is of trying to get the hotter air to further away room
A small fan pointed into the stove room blowing the cooler air in can set up a convection current to move air and even out the heat. Doesn't need to be blasting, just gentle air movement. Then you can run the stove the way you want.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
A small fan pointed into the stove room blowing the cooler air in can set up a convection current to move air and even out the heat. Doesn't need to be blasting, just gentle air movement. Then you can run the stove the way you want.

Ok thanks a lot! I'll try lower blower tonight and see how it works out in the AM

Exactly what Jatoxico said! How did this work out for you?

I have that with our Regency CI2600, the LOW/HIGH settings on the blower are more about how much heat you push out of the stove, not how far it goes from the stove. I usually run on AUTO and LOW, because HIGH seems to burn through fuel quicker, and make a lot more noise. I set up a small Vornado fan on the floor at one end of the house, blowing down a hall towards the stove room, and it sets up a really nice convection loop.

Exactly what Jatoxico said! How did this work out for you?

I have that with our Regency CI2600, the LOW/HIGH settings on the blower are more about how much heat you push out of the stove, not how far it goes from the stove. I usually run on AUTO and LOW, because HIGH seems to burn through fuel quicker, and make a lot more noise. I set up a small Vornado fan on the floor at one end of the house, blowing down a hall towards the stove room, and it sets up a really nice convection loop.

It was warm last night so didn't run overnight. Will test today. With the LOW/HIGH meaning the amount of heat pushed out, still then wouldn't more heat mean more warmth pushed out to the house, and thus warming more areas, as when on HIGH the house is always warmer? Might try the convection loop

Well, we're in a 1650 sqft ranch. The stove is in the middle of the house, in a big living room. If I don't move the air with the vornado fan down the hall, the living room gets really hot, but not so much the rest of the house. With the blower on HIGH, the living room gets even warmer, but it doesn't reach any further. It's just not enough of an increase in temperature in that one room, to warm the rest of the house.

When I was a kid, if I left the front door open in winter, my old man would yell, "What are you trying to do, heat the whole neighborhood?" :)
Think of it a little bit like that. If it's 90 degrees in your house, and you have a box fan blowing air out of your front door, it's not going to make your neighbor's house any warmer. Even if you have a box fan that's 100x more powerful (aka blower on high), it still won't.

Well, we're in a 1650 sqft ranch. The stove is in the middle of the house, in a big living room. If I don't move the air with the vornado fan down the hall, the living room gets really hot, but not so much the rest of the house. With the blower on HIGH, the living room gets even warmer, but it doesn't reach any further. It's just not enough of an increase in temperature in that one room, to warm the rest of the house.

When I was a kid, if I left the front door open in winter, my old man would yell, "What are you trying to do, heat the whole neighborhood?" :)
Think of it a little bit like that. If it's 90 degrees in your house, and you have a box fan blowing air out of your front door, it's not going to make your neighbor's house any warmer. Even if you have a box fan that's 100x more powerful (aka blower on high), it still won't.

All makes sense. So have a fan blowing the cold air into room with insert, not fan in insert blowing hot air out, correct?

Yep. the explanation I have heard here is that it's easier to move cold air along the floor towards the stove, because it's heavier, than to move hot air. Then warmer air moves in to replace the displaced cold air, and that gets the loop going.

Status
Not open for further replies.