1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Question on cracked handle

Post in 'The Gear' started by NH_Wood, Feb 2, 2013.

1. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Hi everyone,

What is the best option for fixing a crack on a chainsaw handle - I'm looking at a possible MS260Pro, but has a crack in the handle - from what I understand, the handle is cracked near where the trigger portion meets the base - not sure if it's a full separation or not.

Is there an epoxy that can be used to seal the crack? Does it require a new housing/handle? Sorry for no strong details, just wondering if this is a deal breaker - the rest of the saw seems in very good shape.

Cheers!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    I can't speak to that exact saw, but I "ran" with a cracked handle on my old fav. 044 for a long time. I finally parted with about $260 for the new part (only) that is basically the "chassis" for the whole saw. Now were both happy!
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    JB Weld.
    Wildo and MasterMech like this.
  4. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks guys - I'll look into the JB Weld - geesh, $260 seems real steep for the housing - that must have been painful! Cheers!
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Check eBay for replacement handles too. JB Weld is sold at just about every hardware and parts store.
  6. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Checked on eBay - seems like a lot of after market stuff and pretty damn expensive.......I'll have to see how bad the crack is when I see the saw. Thanks!
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

8. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks MM. Man, it seems that 40-60 bucks for a rear handle seems real pricey, but, I haven't done a lot of part searching. Cheers!
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Go ahead, call your dealer and ask. You know you want to. ;)
  10. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Ha!
  11. cygnus

cygnus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central, NJ
    I'd stay away from the aftermarket assembly. I put one on an 038 and found that the old filter cover wouldn't fit. Turned out I needed to buy the matching aftermarket cover too. I had to trim some of the plastic to get it on and the metal 'clasp' works like crap. It wasn't worth the few bucks I saved.

Check eBay or chainsawr.com. If you have the energy, you could get something like a complete non-working saw, pull the parts you need and sell off the rest.
  12. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    It is likely an aluminum/magnesium alloy which can be welded as long as the alloy can be identified.

I wouldn't buy it, though since you may not be able to find a welder who can fix it.
  13. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    Until I found a donor saw for my Jred 455, I reinforced the cracked handle by bolting a mending plate over the crack.
  14. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks for all the info! Cheers!
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Every 026/MS260 I've come across has a plastic back-handle. But Dune is right that Mg/Al can be TIG welded quite readily in the right hands. ;)
    Dune likes this.
  16. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I have a right hand, but not the right hands! Cheers!
    MasterMech likes this.
  17. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    If its a 260 then it's the plastic or composite or whatever they call it. There were some 026s that had the metal, iirc.