Question on direct vent, Through a chimney not up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesfarrell

Oct 24, 2015
Worcester
I'm contemplating a free standing gas stove. Enviro ascot. My chimney is high and I've been quoted about $1200 just for the pipe up the chimney. Damn. So I was wondering. My dad has a gas stove, direct vent through a wall. Outside it's got just a small amount of pipe and the cap or whatever it's called.

Now I plan on putting the stove on the existing hearth, or pushing it in the fireplace a bit, depending on various factors. This got me to thinking. Why could I not drill a hole through the back of the chimney, which would be the same as the setup my father has, but instead of through the wall, it would be through brick.

I realize the drilling of a hole through the brick would be a chore, but the savings in the cost of the pipe would be good.

Thanks

seems like alot for the needed pipe,
running flex pipes up chimney right?
co-ax to co-linera etc.
i'd guess about 600-700 for parts for most jobs.

seems like alot for the needed pipe,
running flex pipes up chimney right?
co-ax to co-linera etc.
i'd guess about 600-700 for parts for most jobs.

About 25 or 30' of pipe. Everyone I have talked to said around a grand at least. I don't know what pipe. I'm not a stove guy. A direct vent pipe up the chimney with a cap I suppose.

That does sound like a high quote. The flex kits are 35', so this isn't an unusual height. Anyway, I have done what you're asking. Direct vent through the firebox in a masonry fireplace. It wasn't difficult.

Does it use 3" x 3" system? The liners, plate, and cap are under $400 for materials. Is there masonry at the top of your chimney that has to be altered? There are a lot of factors that could make that a reasonable price. You are hiring someone to vent it, who is doing the rest of the job, running gas and setting up stove? I would not even consider breaking through the fireplace personally. I think it would be a lot of work, reduce the value and future use of the fireplace, plus the direct vent horizontal caps a pretty expensive. You could also consider a b vent gas stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.