Question on installation of Enviro M55 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mianesva

Dec 21, 2010
So. N.H.
My fireplace opening has an arch with 33 1/2" from floor to the highest part of the arch on the inside right against the brick. It has doors that are attached to a cast iron frame wrapped in a golden trim. The distance to the actual frame from the floor is 33".

The fireplace arch has more curvature than the M55 standard shroud

The top of the shroud of the M55 ends at 32 and 7/8. This will leave about 1/4 inch "arch gap" on top for about 6 inches

The folks that sold me the unit will be by later today to take a look. They indicated it will likely need a shroud extension which needs to be custom made. This shroud extension will essentially completely hide my existing fireplace arch as it is a rectangular piece.

Issues:

1. Look / design. The fireplace is on a tall white brick wall which also includes an accompanying identical opening to store wood (where I would put pellets) so both arches are part of a "design. I originally thought that although the curvature of the M55 arch is different it would still look good when sitting next to the other arch. I am concerned about the look of a rectangular shroud extension.

2. Fit. The arch is made of the same white bricks and it extends about 1/4" or so out of the actual wall. That is a shroud extension that gets past those bricks that make the arch would not be flush on the actual brick wall.

3. Timing. The local outfit that custom makes extensions are closed for 2 weeks and to that we would have to add the extra time to make this.

What I am contemplating:

The fireplace I have now has a cast iron frame with a golden trim wrapping it which exactly matches the arch of the existing bricks. I would like to evaluate the possibility of:
1. Removing the doors
2. Removing the gold trim, leaving the black cast iron frame.
3. Cutting off the bottom part of the frame (the horizontal bar that includes the vents)
4. Trimming off about 1/4" from each of the sides of the frame so as to lower the frame to cover whatever gap may exist between the 32 7/8" of the M55 and the 33" of the metal frame.

Thoughts of the above ?
Anyone else with a similar dilemma?

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.