Question on installing pellet insert when firebox is below hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mk48

Nov 27, 2013
Dalton, Massachusetts
Well, I guess the title really says it all. I'm in the market for a pellet insert for my masonry fireplace but the floor of the firebox is a solid 1.5" lower than the hearth. I can't really find any information on what to do in this situation. Will an insert normally have adjustable feet? Can I just put down some pieces of cement board or something else noncombustible? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

That is not a problem. bring floor up as close to flush as you can w/ cement board laid in the fireplace w/out going over then lay a piece of sheet metal down and finish adjustment w/ the adjustable feet. Sheetmetal gives the feet some support so they dont push into the cement board. Or use patio block if they are not to thick to bring floor up to high

Reactions: holstein
I had the opposite problem and used slate from a stone supplier, see sig picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.