Question on IR Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Just picked one p this morning and played with it a little bit. The readings I am getting are about 100 degrees higher than the two Rutlands I have attached. Where exactly is the best place to aim the IR? I feel more confident using this than the two others.

Again, thanks in advance.....

Great question. I've got an IR thermometer as well as one of those magnetic stove top ones and wasn't sure about where to place it. Thanks for asking.

I like a Condar Spring Steel Thermometer about 12" or so high on the pipe. And one on my stove top.

My stove roughly likes to cruise at 300 F pipe temp and 600 F stove top temp at the setting I like of my input air.

You can take your IR Thermometer and check around for the hottest spot on an insert or stove top.

The IR will be more accurate and instantaneous. I still like my Condars for a visual rough idea.

I have a cheaper Drolet Spring Steel its less accurate at the lower temps but getting up around 600 or higher its accurate.

The Condar is more accurate at the lower 30,0 400, 500 temps. Neither one does good at the extremes.

Thing about the spring steel is they are slow reaponse so that makes a reading on a instant IR Themo had to compare.

My Cheap IR reads up to 1022F deg.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Infrare...ords=Neiko+Infrared+Laser+Aim+Thermometer+Gun

Aim it all over - just not at the glass, as that reading will be crazy high. That way you'll better understand the cooler areas and the hot spots on your stove. Each stove design will be a bit different. If you move back a bit, an IR will read a larger area than if you are close. I like to read in the top/center of the stove and the flue collar which is usually the hottest point. On my stove, the top center is cooler than the top front left or right quarter area. I find that reading the cast iron flue collar to give me the best idea of what is happening.

The hottest spot on my Summit is right above the door in the center of stove that is where I placed the Rutland. My Rutland was 75 degrees lower than my IR, they are not known for their accuracy.
Point the IR around the front to find your hot spots.

Reactions: Nelson
Status
Not open for further replies.