question on measurement to mantel before purchase of new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beaverbeliever

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
Oregon
We've found the insert that both the wife likes to look at and I'm comfortable will do what I want it to do. We've settled on the Jotul 550 even though it's more than I wanted to spend. Our existing fireplace dimensions look to all be perfect for this insert but the one question asking for a minimum 51" from floor to mantel height. We only have 45" but we really don't have a true mantel. We have basically a 3/4" painted board that covers the sides and top of the brick that creates a 3" shelf above the fireplace. We don't have a true mantel that extends out inches over the fireplace front. Does this matter?

The minimum clearances to combustible materials required by the appliance manufacturer have nothing to do with whether or not you consider your mantle to be a "true" mantle (whatever that is). If it's of a combustible material, and it's within the minimum clearance spec for the appliance, then it's gotta go. Read the manual for the insert you're considering very carefully before you decide to proceed, and if you still have questions, then talk with the appliance manufacturer, the dealer, and/or your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (probably the county building inspectors in your case). Rick

Ditto on what fossil said. I had to replace a wood mantle with stone because of clearance. If the material sticking out is combustible, it has to be shielded or removed. Don't ignore clearances requirements because it's much better to be safe than burn your house down.

I have a Jotul 550 Rockland and had clearance issues with my mantel as well, Jotul makes a deflector shield that bolts behind the surround with one bolt and should give you enough clearance. I believe the shield was about $80.00 but was on a long backorder at the time. I included a pic of mine.

Attachments

• question on measurement to mantel before purchase of new insert
    3_PB280353.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 184
Thanks guys. I reread the minimum dimensions and realized that they had two distances to measure depending on the width of the mantel. In my case I don't have a mantel and when I actually get around to getting it built I know where it needs to be. I don't have mantel that projects out beyond the face of the fireplace brick.

I went ahead and ordered the Jotul this afternoon and should have it in place in about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.