Question on Napoleon 1402 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMotz

Oct 1, 2012
Hello!

I just had a Napoleon 1402 insert put in and had a question about the air control at the bottom under the ashpan. Is it supposed to have a good amount of travel? the instructions show the piece with numbers and mine doesnt look to have them. the instructions also give the impression it moves quite a bit.

Mine only travels about an inch and im hoping that its not broken or not working correctly. Did my first burn tonight and Any time I shut the door up until the fire was really going, it went out and started smoking. after about 40 minutes i could shut the door and it burned ok. moving the piece in and out doesnt seem to have too much of affect on the intensity.

I understand from reading other posts that it will take a few burns to get going at 100% but is this air intake piece working correctly?

Thanks for any insight.

it is supposed to have a good amount of travel. A sticker should be on top reading 1-6 with dash lines. When mine is pulled out all the way,(starting fire) the number 6 shows. Pushed in all the way, number 1 shows. It travels maybe 5 inches? When I first put mine it, it was VERY hard to pull the air control out. so I said this isn't right. Ended up tipping the front of the stove up, and put some splits underneith it to hold it up. Found the mounts that hold up the air control lever was bent and damaged. (caused by placing the stove on the pallet, things just lined up right i guess to bend it during shipping) Took a screw driver and pliers and bent the mounts and lever back to the position they should be in. Now it travels so smoothely a two year old could probably do it. Check that, i'm willing to bet thats 100% of your problem.

Reactions: begreen
Great tip HatCity, thanks!

Reactions: HatCityIAFF
Hatcity that was dead on! I pulled out the unit and the air intake bar was bent after the weld. Seems like this must happen all the time because the whole assembly is in a vulnerable area.

Thanks!

yeah, my display travels exactly 2"
the control is vulnerable during moving/install- poor design in that regard
glad you got it sorted out

Status
Not open for further replies.