1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

question on red oak

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by dyerkutn, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    But we know you like beer Ray.
    raybonz likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA

A few miles makes a big differnece on price in MA. I spent some time cruising craigslis and making calls.

• Around me (metrowest between 128/I-95 and I-495) the going prices are 250-350 per cord for "seasoned" (not) hardwood CSS delivered and dumped. Few ads for green.
    • If you look in Boston and the directly adjacent towns the prices skyrocked to 400+ and you see a lot of dealers advertizing half quarter and half cords at crazy number like 300. (selling to the apartment dwellers)
    • Go outside I-495 and search Worcester county the prices drop into the mid 200s for seasoned and I see the occasional 150-200 for green and some hundred buck cords of pine. Problem is a lot of these ads are in the Asian beetle quarantine zone.
    Best deals are on log loads (as low as $75/cord), but I dont have space to take an 8 cord grapple.
  3. Reckless

Reckless Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange county, NY
    80ft red oak should be almost 2 cords of wood depending on the diameter no?
  4. Missouri Frontier

Missouri Frontier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Missouri BFE north of KC
    Sounds right to me Reckless