Question re firebox size and how big a wood stove to get???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katfit1222

Hearth Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Hi,
My husband and I have found a Morso 4600 at a great price and love the design but have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
1. The firebox will fit wood up to 12 inches, we live in Boston, MA and are not sure if we can find wood this size, it seems the standard is 16 inches. Is it possible to get smaller sized wood?

2. The Morso 4600 stove heats up to 800 sq ft, we live in an old poorly insulated Victorian that is 1600 sq ft of vertical living (3 small floors). We would put the stove on the first floor which is 1 open room (600 sq ft) and we hope that the heat would then rise to the other floors. Is this stove powerful enough or should we get something with more heating capability?

Thanks! Katie

For a poorly insulated 1600 sq ft three story home you will need much more than a stove that heats 800 sq ft.

You may need to move up to one of the bigger Morso stoves, maybe even the 3610 considering the poor insulation. Have you given any thought to improving the insulation?

Even under the best circumstances a stove that small is only going to be able to provide supplemental heat in a home that big.

Hi Katie, you've asked great questions. Yes, it will be difficult to get wood that small, and very likely more expensive. And yes, the stove may be too small for the house. How would heat rise upstairs? Is there an open staircase between floors? How would you like to use the stove - evenings and weekends or 24/7? Is there an existing flue or chimney or will this have to be installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.