question regarding clearances to combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmwsc

Feb 4, 2013
central Mass
just had a quick question about clearance to combustibles. I had read if a shield is used it can reduce the 18" clearance for single wall stove pipe to 9 inches. Is this the clearance to the shield? Or to the combustible material behind the shield (and the 1" air gap)?

it's a sheet of I believe 25 gauge sheet metal over 1/2 Durock - is this adequate?
Don't know,,curious as I want to place a shield beside mine too, where I am at minimum clearance, just for safety.

it's a sheet of I believe 25 gauge sheet metal over 1/2 Durock - is this adequate?

Normally the shield is either a sheet of metal attached to the single-wall pipe with spacers or the sheet metal is attached to the wall on 1" spacers and open at the top and bottom. Not sure from this description if there are spacers and an air gap in place.

yes - there are 1" steel spacers on the screws holding the sheet metal an durock up. I just attached the sheetmetal to the durock for some rigidity (and maybe added protection?). The majority of the area shielded is the concrete blocks of the upstairs fireplace hearth.

Concrete blocks usually don't need shielding. Only combustible surfaces need protection. Maybe post a picture? You could be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.